UniGUI (ExtJS) vs Bootstrap. Fight))

elGringo

I have discussion with my customer that UniGUI app interface is not responsive! He says you would better do job on bootstrap rather than on UniGUI ! But that bullsheet, I  believe UniGUI quite powerfull to the things like that on the video !

SeeVideo

How to repeat behaviour on the video?

For the moment I know that to make interface responsive I should use client alighnment and layouts ! Also I have read amazing post of  mohhamed here and think that is a good example of responsive interface.

Besides, to change sizes of tiles like that on the video we should handle OnWindowResize event like this example

Main.OnCreate

UniApplication.UniSession.AddJS(

'Ext.EventManager.onWindowResize(function(sender,w, h){'

+'  var BrowserWidthValue=Ext.getBody().getViewSize().width;  '
+'  ajaxRequest(sender, ''GetBrowserWidth'', [ ''BrowserWidth=''+BrowserWidthValue, ''param1=B'' ]);'

+Self.WebForm.JSName+'.setWidth(BrowserWidthValue);'

+'Ext.getCmp( '''+pTopPanel.JSName+'''+''_id'').setWidth(BrowserWidthValue);'
+'Ext.getCmp( '''+pBackGroundPanel.JSName+'''+''_id'').setWidth(BrowserWidthValue);'

+'});'

);

So, i am in the process of repeating such behaviour like that on the video and will post the results here.

If you have such experience - share your ideas here.

Regards, 

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

It is easy to make your unigui app responsive, you don't need to use bootstrap.

Extjs is most powerful library for serious job.

Hi, mohammad ! 

I have read and tried it  what you gave us as a good example of responsive interface  in Unigui .  

It is no problem to run on Desktop , Tablet even mobile .   thanks for sharing that ! 

Meanwhile ,  Actually , I totally agree with you .  I don't want  to use Bootstrap to make app .  

but I (or maybe we) want to run app in the way of Bootstrap  in Unigui !!

For example , ( Running in Bootstrap example , or ExtJS 6.xx example  )

1.  On Desk top , it shows itself  in a  full screen as designed .

2.  when resizing on Mobile or Tablet  as smaller size ,  it changes itself   cutting like piece cake  and shows well  one by one  every scrolling . 

That's why i am waiting for using Extjs6.xx  in Unigui . 

Mohammad , 

How can i make responsive app like above with Unigui current version ?

-  It is easy to make your unigui app responsive, you don't need to use bootstrap. - 

Please , I wish you can share your wisdom to solve that  ! 

• 1 month later...
  • 5 years later...
On 3/14/2017 at 1:42 AM, elGringo said:

¡Tengo conversaciones con mi cliente sobre la interfaz de la aplicación UniGUI que no responde! ¡Dice que sería mejor hacer el trabajo en bootstrap en lugar de en UniGUI! Pero ese bullsheet, creo que UniGUI bastante poderoso para las cosas como esa en el video !

SeeVideo

How to repeat behaviour on the video?

For the moment I know that to make interface responsive I should use client alighnment and layouts ! Also I have read amazing post of  mohhamed here and think that is a good example of responsive interface.

Además, para cambiar el tamaño de los mosaicos como ese en el video, debemos manejar el evento OnWindowResize como este ejemplo.

Main.OnCreate

UniApplication.UniSession.AddJS(

'Ext.EventManager.onWindowResize(function(sender,w, h){'

+'  var BrowserWidthValue=Ext.getBody().getViewSize().width;  '
+'  ajaxRequest(sender, ''GetBrowserWidth'', [ ''BrowserWidth=''+BrowserWidthValue, ''param1=B'' ]);'

+Self.WebForm.JSName+'.setWidth(BrowserWidthValue);'

+'Ext.getCmp( '''+pTopPanel.JSName+'''+''_id'').setWidth(BrowserWidthValue);'
+'Ext.getCmp( '''+pBackGroundPanel.JSName+'''+''_id'').setWidth(BrowserWidthValue);'

+'});'

);

So, i am in the process of repeating such behaviour like that on the video and will post the results here.

If you have such experience - share your ideas here.

Regards, 

Why not ONLY Delphi and UNIGUI?

maybe this is not the solution you need, but after seeing several posts over the years about responsiveness, I set up a base project (actually there are 5) where I managed to solve your question and many others, such as controlling color themes, fonts and several other configurations, runtime translation etc and also use only one code, only one form/frame for desktop and mobile (no use of hybrid mobile) and best of all, without using html, css, js or extjs.

even though it's not what you're looking for, I leave the link where there are several demonstrative videos and of course, I'm at your disposal.

http://forums.unigui.com/index.php?/topic/22690-radcore-project/

ps: several unigui users (in several countries) already have applications in production (some with almost 3 years old) based on RadCORE.

Please stop trying to compare UniGui & ExtJS with Bootstrap. You can create applications of unlimited complexity with Unigui whereas it is not possible to create an application of any kind using Bootstrap as a framework. The most you can do with Bootstrap is create beautiful, fully responsive but “static” websites. Bootstrap is mainly a class library with fairly limited Javascript and zero AJAX and DOM Management capabilities.

Unigui is what is known as a Full Stack Web Application Development (front-end + back-end) system, with Delphi doing the back-end and ExtJS (plus some smarts from FMSoft) doing the front-end.

If you have to compare Bootstrap with anything you should compare it with things like

-       Pure CSS

-       TailWind

-       Materialize

-       Bulma

On the other hand, ExtJS as a framework should be compared with front-ends like

-       React

-       Angular

-       VueJS

Regarding Responsiveness

As things stand no amount of tricks or magic are going to make your Unigui application fully responsive. Not to take anything away from Unigui. As a die-hard Delphi developer, I am grateful and fully committed to and will continue paying my annual subs for Unigui because it's making me money.  If you want full responsiveness you have to be willing to not leave everything to ExtJS and also, very important, to learn Javascript & CSS. Delphi is one of the hardest development languages to master and once you know Delphi learning Javascript is a piece of cake.

• Upvote 2

Some time ago, I have posted an example for obtain responsiveness from Unigui, adding Pure Css.
It works well for my need, and responsiveness is all client (no Server calls). Now I can also modify, with templates, appearance of the grids.
All without Bootstrap.
For complex project there is RadCore 

• 8 months later...
On 4/17/2023 at 5:30 PM, Norm said:

Please stop trying to compare UniGui & ExtJS with Bootstrap. You can create applications of unlimited complexity with Unigui whereas it is not possible to create an application of any kind using Bootstrap as a framework. The most you can do with Bootstrap is create beautiful, fully responsive but “static” websites. Bootstrap is mainly a class library with fairly limited Javascript and zero AJAX and DOM Management capabilities.

Unigui is what is known as a Full Stack Web Application Development (front-end + back-end) system, with Delphi doing the back-end and ExtJS (plus some smarts from FMSoft) doing the front-end.

If you have to compare Bootstrap with anything you should compare it with things like

-       Pure CSS

-       TailWind

-       Materialize

-       Bulma

On the other hand, ExtJS as a framework should be compared with front-ends like

-       React

-       Angular

-       VueJS

Regarding Responsiveness

As things stand no amount of tricks or magic are going to make your Unigui application fully responsive. Not to take anything away from Unigui. As a die-hard Delphi developer, I am grateful and fully committed to and will continue paying my annual subs for Unigui because it's making me money.  If you want full responsiveness you have to be willing to not leave everything to ExtJS and also, very important, to learn Javascript & CSS. Delphi is one of the hardest development languages to master and once you know Delphi learning Javascript is a piece of cake.

You´re 200% right. The main problem is that Delphi programmers are addicted to drag-and-drop components , set properties and events and hit F9. Not a single big FANG has the same app to all devices.  And one app to mobile has an UI different with a completely different UX.  Worst, facebook has its own browser to mobile and I did not know that until two years ago.

I was reading an article other day that Youtube has more than 20 version of their basic video player and different API to a lot of devices. Recently I noticed that ROKU YT has not the same UI than other smart tv brands. No wonder !

But that is true. People don't want to learn CSS & HTML. Not even with JS because is really a shit language (weak, loosely and lazy by design  . The problem here is debugging and when you compare to RAD IDE, my gosh !

For those whom never got in depth :