Determining connection quality

mika

We have few customers who has pretty bad connection thus having some problems with uniGUI quite regularly. This is by no means uniGUIs fault but it often means that customer is asking us what is the problem with software and this translates more work for us because we must investigate all problems that come to our attention.

Is there a way to determine connection quality? I would be interested about response times, number of retries uniGUI has to make before successfull data transfer and event time stamps. This information would allow us to forge algorithm to calculate some value for connection quality. If said value crosses certain threshold, user would be notified that their connection seems to be shaky and it might cause trouble. This would help us to point user to the right direction and to troubleshoot his side and not automatically contacting us to let us now that we have a problem as the problem he is experiencing is on his end.

Also, one user with shaky connection claims that sometimes when he is working as usual, software just logs him out without any errors or problems beforehand. This kind of behaviour is not coded in our software and it should never log out user without user actually requesting to log out. Is there something I'm missing out on this?

// Mika

I've already implemented mechanism to detect slow connection and possible connection problems but I would like to get some information from uniGUI itself. Is it possible? There's uniGUI logging of course, but I don't want to parse log in runtime. Is there a way to get information like possible sequence errors, lost transmissions and so forth from uniGUI?

Reason for all of this is that I would like to warn user about bad connection before the connection drops all together. This is not always possible of course, but in this instance, I suspect that they are having problems with their office LAN as it is confirmed that their connection lag is constantly all over the place ranging from tens of milliseconds to even few seconds.

// Mika