Is Delphi dead? No ;)

elGringo

Hello everyone. l'm independent Delphi developer, about 1,5 years of active experience. I chose that language because I was learning it in University and for the moment it seems to me perfect tool for Development.

What i can see is dramatical story of the product, perfect first steps in 1994, betrayal of the anders hejlsberg, very strange policy of the Borland, after that, selling to Embarcadero, than to IDERA and so on..., many holywars on the net about 'Is Delphi Dead' or 'Delphi vs C++' and so on...

If it is dying like some saying, than it is dying for too long time ~ 21 years )) So I don't want to repeat all that info trash, but wanted to ask you, who developing on UniGUI,

How do you see present and future of Delphi? In my opinion it has very good prosperity, but also not very good marketing policy for the moment...

Most of developers as I think are working in some companies, but not creating programs directly for the market, and situation with the jobs on Delphi not very good, as for the moment in Russia, how is your experience, in your locations?

http://www.isdelphidead.com/

• Upvote 1

it's all right

Unfortunately in Brazil it is also occurring, Delphi is being left out, because here are looking for applications that run 100% on the Internet and the vision that most companies (at least I'm dealing with) is that Delphi is not indicated for this type of application.

I'm using Unigui to try as much as possible to keep my applications in Delphi for some time, but the way it is going to think it will not last long.

Augusto Costa - Brazil

• Upvote 1

Same situation in Greece.

There are left only a few programmers who develop in Delphi.

And all of them are older software engineers , working on big old projects which are difficult to jump to .NET.

In job search sites , the available jobs for Delphiers are only 1/20.

No new blood - like you - is coming.

Reasons for that ?

I don't know.

Τendency to cloud and web-based apps ?

Maybe the high cost ? maybe the bad marketing ?

Stock market games ?

Of course there is nothing wrong with Delphi / Pascal itself.

It is very powerful and after >25 years as developer, I can say that I was never limited by this tool.

Now with uniGUI I can have web rich applications too.(Thanks to great job of mr. Farshad).

I am sure that I will close my career with Delphi and only Delphi.

One positive point is TIOBE index.

I don't know how do they calculate the index but Delphi in May 2016 was in 11th position.

It is a hope !

May the Idera and Marco Cantu will make the total comeback!

• Upvote 1

Hi elGringo,

Thx for your interesting post.

1.First, if you are independent Delphi developper, then you will not have problem. Your freedom is your locomotive. This is what we are doing everyday, when we write portions of pascal object code with challenge, innovation and especially pleasure.

2. Second, about Delphi course, most of us beleave that the adventure is not over.

http://forums.unigui.com/index.php?/topic/5889-embarcadero-aquired-by-idera/&do=findComment&comment=30254

3. Finally, it's clear today, if you want to incorporate a softWare company wich is looking for a Delphi Developper, scarcity Delphi Developpers on the work market will be your salvation. Ofcourse they will ask you to maintain their old information system to the detriment of your own innovation (:

And then you will speak about unigui !

Best regards

• Upvote 1

Thank you, Abaksoft an Iema for the Answers! Before last coming to programming I was in Sales ( Agricultural machines on Kuhn  brand during 2 years), and after that experience I understood that 'Everything can be sold'. Hundreds of meetings with clients and so on...  Brand was very expensive relatively to other competitiors, but 1,5 mln euro sales a year during 2 years was done.

There's no doubt Delphi is well done product for the moment technically. All new features, frameworks, firemonkey, unigui and so on... Release every half a year - it seems to me that after years of Borland silence Embarcadero decided to proove that Delphi is alive and alive one more time ))) And of course special thanks to Farshad for UniGUi!

Why there is not many jobs on Delphi for the moment? The answer is marketing and sales, again.

Delphi was in every school. In Borland times as far as I know Pascal, TurboPascal, Delphi was in every school - a lot people was programming on that languages - a lot of Delphi blood. A lot of Delphi people - a lot of projects - a lot of jobs as I can see the chain. Today as far as I know in schools and universities mixed situation.

Yesterday i scanned for jobs in Delphi and found some jobs where people looking for Delphi Developer on new projects (for example here, in Russian). So jobs marketing began slowly come to life. Of course for the moment ratio is was written is 1/20 but jobs in consequence of marketing policy and sales of Embarcadero or IDera for the moment.

For many people contemporary Delphi IDE is quite expensive in comparison with VS for the example.

Truth in that 90% of success depends on developer, good and successfull app may be written in many languages. But some languages may fit more or less for the task.

As for me, I'm not looking for the job as a Delphi programmer, i just use that instrument to create my little Apps for the Market. And have positive experience, during all that. What I like in Delphi is the speed of Development. A lot of things already done!

• Upvote 1

I have been reading forums discussing this question for at least 15 years since appearing of the .Net but Delphi turns a deaf ear.

Now I would say that it's rather .Net nearer to the death than Delphi despite the support of one of the largest company of the world.

With UniGui I think it will last even longer.

• Upvote 1