zeos connections on servermodule

glendean

I am wanting lightweight access to postgresql without the bde layer (I am not using data controls).  I looked at mORMmot but found it too complexing and restrictive so instead created a thread safe connection class with an Array of zeos IZConnections that I plan to place on servermodule.  The clientclass which sits on mainmodule passes the sql request and a pointer to its array (dataset) to a threadsafe class of IZConnections on servermodule.  Thanks to the performance of zeos, under test in a delphi app, it completed 12,000 sql requests a second to 500 threads via 20 connections to postgresql (24 sql request per second per thread) in an oracle vm.  

My thoughts are that 10 or so IZConnections placed on servermodule should easily serve 500+ unigui sessions. Thus saving valuable resources (no Data.DB). I name form tconrols with a similar name to database fields so can update forms with one function call.... DBSetFormControls(self,  SQL) etc. so don't need no dammed bde :)

So my question is this. Is placing a class of zeos IZConnections on servermodule a bad idea for any reason? 

Note.... Speed of unigui through the www (via vpn prozy) using zeos IZConnections without bde is simply outstanding.  Saving my bickies so I can rid myself of the unigui trial banner soon.

• Administrators

Hi,

If you can manage all these in a thread-safe manner then your approach should work. You need to ensure that no connection is used concurrently by more than one session.  Actually it is called connection pooling. You may also want to try using a DB library which internally implements a pool system.

Hi,

If you can manage all these in a thread-safe manner then your approach should work. You need to ensure that no connection is used concurrently by more than one session.  Actually it is called connection pooling. You may also want to try using a DB library which internally implements a pool system.

Thanks Rafashad for the reassurance and headsup, 

Cheers, Glen

Thanks Rafashad for the reassurance and headsup, 

Cheers, Glen

If anyone is planning to roll their own connection pooler on servermodule the following code using the zeos library completes over 12,000 sql requests a second from postgresql. In my case reducing the unigui app exe size, without bde, by a third. Data is temporarily stored in a array of array of variant (aka TUniDBData) which can be accessed from a tquery like replacement residing on forms or the mainmodule. Performance across the web is excellent as long as you instigate a request for data from clientevents. Please advise if I have goofed anywhere.

Function TUniDBConnection.ExecuteQuery (Const Sql: String; var fData: TUniDBData; var ErrorMessage: String; Const NoResult: Boolean): Boolean;

Var
  ConnectionID,Colind,rowind: Integer;
begin
    Result := False;
    if Length(fConnections) = 0 then
    begin
        ErrorMessage := 'System is not connected to a database. Operation aborted.';
        Exit;
    end;
    ConnectionID := -1;

// Stress tested with 400 threads executing over 6 miilion sql request in total through 20 connections.
    // Throughput with 20 connections was 15,000 sql requests per second.
    // Typical average responce in real world should be 1-25 ms with 10 connections depending on load (10 conn = ~13,000 requests second)

Try
        EnterCriticalSection(fGate);
        while ConnectionID = -1 do
        begin
            ConnectionID := SelectFreeConnection;
            If ConnectionID = -1 then
            begin
              resetevent(fWaitSignal);
              WaitForSingleObject(fWaitSignal, 10);
            end;
        end;
        InterlockedIncrement(fQueueBusy[ConnectionID]); //atomic operation.
    Finally
        LeaveCriticalSection(fGate);
    End;

Try
        Try
            if NoResult = True then
                Result := fStatements[ConnectionID].Execute(SQL)
            Else
            begin
                fResultSets[ConnectionID] := fStatements[ConnectionID].ExecuteQuery(SQL);
                if Assigned(fResultSets[ConnectionID]) then
                begin
                    Result := True;
                    SetLength(fdata,fResultSets[ConnectionID].GetMetadata.GetColumnCount, 2);
                    for ColInd := 1 to fResultSets[ConnectionID].GetMetadata.GetColumnCount do
                    begin
                        fdata[Colind-1, 0] := fResultSets[ConnectionID].GetMetadata.GetColumnLabel(Colind);
                        fdata[Colind-1, 1] := fResultSets[ConnectionID].GetMetadata.GetColumnType(Colind);
                    end;
                    rowind :=1;
                    while fResultSets[ConnectionID].Next do
                    begin
                        inc(rowind);
                        SetLength(fdata,Length(fData), rowind + 1);
                        for ColInd := 1 to fResultSets[ConnectionID].GetMetadata.GetColumnCount  do
                        begin
                            case fResultSets[ConnectionID].GetMetadata.GetColumnType(ColInd) of
                                stBoolean: fdata[ColInd-1,RowInd] := fResultSets[ConnectionID].GetBoolean(ColInd);
                                stByte: fdata[ColInd-1,RowInd] := fResultSets[ConnectionID].GetByte(ColInd);
                                stShort: fdata[ColInd-1,RowInd] := fResultSets[ConnectionID].GetShort(ColInd);
                                stInteger: fdata[ColInd-1,RowInd] := fResultSets[ConnectionID].GetInt(ColInd);
                                stLong: fdata[ColInd-1,RowInd] := fResultSets[ConnectionID].GetLong(ColInd);
                                stFloat: fdata[ColInd-1,RowInd] := fResultSets[ConnectionID].GetFloat(ColInd);
                                stDouble: fdata[ColInd-1,RowInd] := fResultSets[ConnectionID].GetDouble(ColInd);
                                stBigDecimal: fdata[ColInd-1,RowInd] := fResultSets[ConnectionID].GetBigDecimal(ColInd);
                                stBytes, stBinaryStream: fdata[ColInd-1,RowInd] := fResultSets[ConnectionID].GetBlob(ColInd).GetString;
                                stDate: fdata[ColInd-1,RowInd] := fResultSets[ConnectionID].GetDate(ColInd);
                                stTime: fdata[ColInd-1,RowInd] := fResultSets[ConnectionID].GetTime(ColInd);
                                stTimeStamp: fdata[ColInd-1,RowInd] := fResultSets[ConnectionID].GetTimeStamp(ColInd);
                                stAsciiStream, stUnicodeStream: fdata[ColInd-1,RowInd] := fResultSets[ConnectionID].GetBlob(ColInd).GetString;
                            else
                                fdata[ColInd-1,RowInd] := fResultSets[ConnectionID].GetString(ColInd);
                            end;
                        end;
                    end;
                end;
            end;
            Except on E: EzSQLException do
            begin
                SetLength(fdata,0, 0);
                ErrorMessage := 'Sql Error ' + Inttostr(E.ErrorCode) + ' : ' + E.Message;
                Result := False;
            end;
        End;
    Finally
        Interlockeddecrement(fQueueBusy[ConnectionID]); // atomic operation.
        SetEvent(fWaitSignal);                         // atomic operation.
    End;
End;

Function TUniDBConnection.SelectFreeConnection: Integer;
var
  i: integer;
begin
  Result := -1;
  for I := 0 to Length(fConnections) - 1 do
  begin
      if fQueueBusy = 0 Then
      begin
            Result := i;