SOME QUESTIONS BEFORE PURCHASING

commsoft

Hi,

I have downloaded the trial version of the program and have been looking at some of the demo programs. To that extent I have been successful in building the programs on one PC and running on that PC. I am at the stage where I have to show something to my boss before they decide to purchase. So my first question is... whether t is possible to deploy one of the demo programs from development PC to another? or would they have to get remote access to my PC? or similar?

So what I tried was this....

I then wanted to copy the program onto one of my other PCs so that I could look at the deployment of web server applications. This is where I got a little bit stuck.  I copied the ext* and uni* folders from my development PC to my other PC and ran the ran the program – it started up OK. When I selected the server monitor menu option a browser window opened

http://localhost:8077/server

and the screen displayed

Loading…

and nothing else. As far as the ext* and uni* files were concerned these are folders

21/09/16  04:39 PM    <DIR>          cache

21/09/16  04:51 PM    <DIR>          ext-4.2.5.1763

21/09/16  04:39 PM    <DIR>          files

21/09/16  04:39 PM    <DIR>          temp

21/09/16  04:56 PM    <DIR>          uni-0.99.96.1321

21/09/16  04:41 PM         4,737,024 SQLDemo.exe

19/09/16  03:41 PM           255,202 sqldemo.png

19/09/16  12:55 PM         3,267,072 uIndy24.bpl

19/09/16  12:55 PM           909,824 uniGUI24.bpl

19/09/16  12:55 PM           118,272 uniGUI24Chart.bpl

19/09/16  12:58 PM         3,324,928 uniGUI24Chartdcl.bpl

19/09/16  12:55 PM           945,664 uniGUI24Core.bpl

19/09/16  12:58 PM         3,051,008 uniGUI24dcl.bpl

19/09/16  12:55 PM           420,352 uniGUI24m.bpl

19/09/16  12:55 PM           134,656 uniGUI24mCore.bpl

19/09/16  12:58 PM           546,304 uniGUI24mdcl.bpl

19/09/16  12:55 PM           224,768 uniGUI24VCL.bpl

19/09/16  12:55 PM           131,584 uniTools24.bpl

19/09/16  03:22 PM           113,664 uSynEdit_D2020.bpl

19/09/16  03:20 PM         2,179,072 uSynEdit_R2020.bpl

When I looked in the unigui.pdf document, in the deployment section it talks about

FmSoft_uniGUI_complete_runtime_0.99.80.1267

And I am unsure whether that is a delphi bpl or something other file(s) you provide. And my reading (on page 50) that if I don’t have the runtime package, then I have to deploy the runtime files themselves, which is why I copied across the ext* and uni* folders.

Are there some other files that I need to copy in order to run a demo on another PC? Is the trial version restricted to run on the PC where Delphi is installed? (I have to show my boss the demo program, and though that I could just upload to his PC, but from own testing that would not be possible.)

Secondly, I wrote a small program that had a grid, navigator and datasource components, and when I ran my program it said that I had not called CoInitialize(), but in all your demo programs I don’t not see any calls to CoInitialize(). Do the demo programs include some unit that calls that function automatically? Otherwise I cannot see why (say) the sqldemo program runs perfectly without calling that function and my programs gives an error.

Licencing Questions

1. Is there a one off cost for the component?
  1. Are there additional costs per installation? For example, I want to write a web server that allows users to view call records in a database. The database and web server application is installed at customer sites? Ie 2 different custmers would have separate installations. Are there additional costs for Ext? or ????

We just need to know how the licencing works before management makes any decision. If it were easier to talk to you direct, would that be possible? And if so, what number to contact you on. You can email me at tc [at]  commsoft-rms.com.

also depending on answer to questions above, do you have any other documentation re deploying application, as the information in unigui.pdf does not really match the trial version... re license keys, and runtime package. at the end of the day, we would need to work out exactly which files would have to be included in install media that is sent to customers that would want to install/use our web application (server).

Thanks

Tim

• Administrators

Hi,

- For Trial edition the best way to deploy is to directly install uniGUI Trial edition in target PC. Just leave ExtRoot and UniRoot at their default values and install Trial Edition. It should work with no issues.

- Runtime package is only distributed with the commercial edition.

- In order to call CoInitialize() you need to set ServerModule->AutoCoInitialize->True

Licencing Questions:

1) Yes, you pay once. You can pay again at end of your subscription period if you want to remain updated for another year.

2) There are no additional costs. uniGUI is royalty free.

• Upvote 1

• 6 months later...

Hi Farshad,

"Licencing Questions

2. Are there additional costs per installation? For example, I want to write a web server that allows users to view call records in a database. The database and web server application is installed at customer sites? Ie 2 different custmers would have separate installations. Are there additional costs for Ext? or ????

"

Can you please answer to this with clerity ! 

What we nned to distribute on client SERVER / Client PC ?

• Administrators

Hi Farshad,

"Licencing Questions

2. Are there additional costs per installation? For example, I want to write a web server that allows users to view call records in a database. The database and web server application is installed at customer sites? Ie 2 different custmers would have separate installations. Are there additional costs for Ext? or ????

"

Can you please answer to this with clerity ! 

What we nned to distribute on client SERVER / Client PC ?

1) Yes, you pay once which also covers first year of subscription. (Price includes Ext JS OEM license. Licenses are perpetual. Each developer needs a separate license)

2) No, uniGUI is royalty free.