Multiple databases or one big database?

Skepsis IT

• 4 weeks later...

Mysql comes in community editions which is under GPL license, and that's free if you distribute your application with source code.

other server editions are require annual subscription.

As far as I know, regarding GPL, it does *not* require you to GPL-license any software you rent or sell, that merely connects to GPL licensed software, like the MySQL Community Server.

However, if you modify MySQL and sell it, then you have to include the source code, if operating under GPL.

But luckily, I am not in the business of selling database software, only applications that connect to the db, so I can then use the MySQL community edition freely.

Think about it: if GPL would demand that the moment you have a single piece of GPL software in your stack, that ALL the rest of the software must then be open source, licenced under GPL, that would be a very strict and limiting scenario, right? That was clearly not the intention of GPL. The restrictions are there to prevent you from monetizing software that is given you for free. So if you are selling database software, GPL would restrict you. But I assume none of us are in the business of selling database software per se, but only applications that rely on database software. And we never even modify that database software. Who's got time for that?

However, if I did modify the MySQL engine, I may have had to open source that particular code if using the Community Edition, but not my Unigui applications. If I did not want to open source my mod's, I'd have to get the Commercial Edition, especially if I wanted to sell that modified db engine as a required part of my software stack.

Study the GPL terms closely, and e.g. read: When are you required to have a MySQL commercial license?