Migration From Windows Server to Linux server

CITASys Automation

Hello everyone,

Thank you for raising this topic in the forums. This issue is indeed occupying my mind at the moment.

I am currently facing a significant challenge and would greatly appreciate your collective wisdom. My task involves migrating an application server from a Windows Server environment to Linux. This is a crucial project for me, and my goal is to achieve a transition that is as smooth and free of trouble as possible.

Although I have conducted some preliminary research, I am eager to learn from those with hands-on experience in this area. I have a few specific questions where your insights could be extremely valuable:

1.  Key Considerations: What should be my main focus when transferring an application server from Windows to Linux? Are there common pitfalls or compatibility issues that I should be aware of?
  2. Preparation Steps: What are the necessary steps to prepare the Linux server before starting the migration? Is there a checklist or set of tasks that would ensure the server is ready for a seamless transition?
  3. Real-World Experiences: Has anyone here undergone a similar migration process? If so, could you share your experiences, especially any challenges you encountered and how you resolved them?

Your advice, recommendations, or any resources you could provide would be immensely helpful. Thank you so much in advance for taking the time to assist!

Hello,

Did you see the documentation :

https://www.unigui.com/doc/online_help/linux64.htm

I am asking my self : why should i go to linux ?

Is windows environment not enough ? Not stable ? Not reliable ? Expensive ?

Windows Server 2019 on ebay is about 50 €. 

And keep in mind that deploying on linux requires an EMB Enterprise Delphi licence at $3000 (actually discount $2400).

Can you explain your motivations to go for linux (pros / cons) ?

Thx