Access network share from ISAPI IIS deployment

Wicket

Hi All,

Has anyone managed to view documents from a network file share using a ISAPI IIS deployment?

I can access files from the same folder as my web app perfectly.

I'm guessing its permissions, but can't get it to work, even after playing around with app pool identities etc.

Does anyone have any ideas, or has successfully done this?

Thanks.

4 hours ago, Wicket said:

Hi All,

Has anyone managed to view documents from a network file share using a ISAPI IIS deployment?

I can access files from the same folder as my web app perfectly.

I'm guessing its permissions, but can't get it to work, even after playing around with app pool identities etc.

Does anyone have any ideas, or has successfully done this?

Thanks.

We open various documents on the server. PDF, HTML. You give the path and open it. Please specify what problems you are having specifically?

Hi,

I can access and open files on the server from the application no problem.

My issue is, if I create a networked drive from another server and try to access files stored here from the application hosted in IIS, it doesn’t work. I can browse the file locally on the sever but when I use the same path in the app it fails.

I was thinking it’s a sharing/permissions issue as the app is being ran in the context of the application pool. I was just hopeful someone might have a guide on how to set this up.

I hope that makes sense.

Well something like the below. 

Open the Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager on your server.

In the Connections pane, expand the server node, and then expand the Sites folder.

Select the website for which you want to configure the application pool.

In the Actions pane, click on "Basic Settings" to open the "Edit Site" dialog box.

In the "Edit Site" dialog box, click on the "Connect as..." button.

In the "Connect As" dialog box, select the option "Specific user" and enter the credentials of the user account/(system/service account) that has access to the shared network drive. Make sure the user account has the necessary permissions to access the shared network drive.

Click "OK" to close the "Connect As" dialog box.

Back in the "Edit Site" dialog box, click on the "Test Settings..." button to verify that the user account has the necessary permissions. The account as well need to have access to the folder of the website.

If the test is successful, click "OK" to close the "Test Settings" dialog box.

Click "OK" to close the "Edit Site" dialog box.

In the Connections pane, expand the server node, and then expand the Application Pools folder.

Right-click on the application pool that is associated with the website you configured in the previous steps, and then click on "Advanced Settings".

In the "Advanced Settings" dialog box, scroll down to the "Process Model" section.

In the "Identity" field, select the option "Custom account" and enter the credentials of the same user account that you specified above. 

Click "OK" to close the "Advanced Settings" dialog box.

Restart the website by right-clicking on it in the Connections pane and selecting "Restart".