Windows licensing help

david_navigator

I'm hoping to use uniGUI for a standard style SAAS web application i.e I'll sell monthly subscriptions to end users, but after spending hours researching I can't work out what I need from a Windows licensing POV. Some documents seem to suggest no additional licensing is required, others suggest that if the app integrates with the server e.g file system on the server (what app doesn't ?) then a CAL is required for each user.

Has anyone any experience in this area or has been audited by Microsoft with a uniGUI app running ?

Hi,

First think it is important to know what the cloud and the different variants look like. In the picture the different variations and who manages
what and where the differences are.For example, if you purchase a VPS server with Windows 2016 from a hosting party, they will do the
network, storage, server, virtualization platform and you manage the OS. The license of the OS is then included in your VPS contract.
In the picture you then arrive at Infrastructure As A Service (IAAS). You can go a step further and purchase a VPS server as a Managed Server,
then the management of the OS and application is done by the supplier.

For the customer it is SAAS, namely your application is offered as a service. SAAS can therefore consist of several suppliers. In this case the supplier of the IAAS platform supplemented with your software and forms the SAAS

In order to achieve what you want, you actually do not have to incur any additional costs than just purchasing a VPS server. Windows CALS (Client Access Licenses) only apply when you run a Windows server within your own infrastructure and when you connect a device to the server.

In short ... purchase a VPS server, uniGui runtime and install your application in an IIS environment, purchase a domain name and you're done.

cloud.jpg

windowsserver2016-licensing-guide.pdf

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1