Why desktop Linux sucks...

Fred Montier

It's not me... Linus Torvalds said !
Hence, the "U" in uniGUI will always have issues. And is not about filenames/folder name cases or paths only.
All browsers for Linux has issues. That's why all big corps using it always makes some rules regarding distros, browsers and what not's.

Another more deep explaining about it

Edited by Fred Montier
Error at title
  • Like 1

Yesterday I was visiting a |(corp.) client and they use Unbutu for one particular app only active. The IT manager and others, they told me about the problems they are facing making softwares updates and improving their in house application, lack of dev personal, no support etc. All because some wise IT guy in the early 2000's said it was the way to save money.  

From some one (me) who spent 6 months making a product (with Kylix) and not selling one single license when the same windows version was a complete success, I DO guarantee: don't waste your time "devin" to final users solution using linux in any project.  The "not selling" result were because the linux community, at that time, thought all software should be "open source" and by open source, they understood as free, like in "free meal".

But, In house apps, well... if you gonna make a niche project and a client for ever, is the way to go.

Just my two cents...

• Fred Montier changed the title to Why desktop Linux sucks...

FYI... the reason for such consulting was, since they had all  lot of stuff in Delphi (old and new projects) and bad experience with Intraweb, they are planning to move away from this old app and make a new version, but for windows / IIS only.

It's very interesting seeing a real world scenario and their  "in-flesh" opinion on Apache Server/solution, distros and all the problems with support and TI staff. 

They will buy a uniGUI license and move all to IIS, cloud etc etc etc.

Edited by Fred Montier
typos

Another interesting point:

I made a side-by-side screen comparison to make a CRUD example  as simple test case since they are Intraweb users (no big stuff). And some  Embarcadero's MVP in Brazil had paid a visit to show them the IW wonders and how they must learn React  to use with IW.  And how uniGUI only works with Ext.JS and were its Achilles' heels etc etc.

In two minutes I got a random page, uniURLFrame, and show how ajaxRequest works ... not more discussions. Is well known here how the MVPs are "ATOZED representatives" and talk trash about uniGUI. It's not the first time that I got walking into their trails.

• Thanks 1

And yes ! I had and used Intraweb since the first version, Defunct CGI-Expert (D7) , Kylix, then moved to PHP (Prism) then pure PHP, .NET (Delphi.. remember?), Oxygen (the Delphi transformer), and got back to Delphi with uniGUI since 2016,  but more in support/consulting now.

And now in a hate/love relation with JavaScript since uniGUI made it obligatory.

uniGUI is the perfect tool to web using Delphi since you can make simple but very sophisticated things without deep knowledge of JS and can get PRO combining both. Much more than Intraweb from 10 years ago. But being fair, Intraweb is making some progress like code injection more easy and frameworks integration. So... its not all that black and white.

(Replicating PM messages... )

• 3 weeks later...

Our company already has the development of GUI applications for Android, development for Linux (fmxLinux) is being prepared, I am putting together unigui projects for RHEL and Astra, at first glance it looks more complicated and you catch SegFault and similar errors, over time, withstanding the requirements of Linux, you get used to everything and it looks ok.
There are no bad instruments, there are people who do not yet know how to prepare them-)

• Like 1