How old are you?  

508 members have voted

1. 1. How old are you?

• 18-29
    • 30-39
    • 40-49
    • 50-59
    • 60+

people say - "wow! it cannot be done with Delphi !!!" And I say - it is done with Delphi.

+1  :)

but I disagree with "eShop, Sites, LandingPages" - Do not waste Farshad energy on where UniGUI can never compete on an equal footing with PHP, at least he hasn't free resource for that. UniGUI made for web application, not for site, and should move in this direction.

hi, maybe you missed the thread, but answer here...

i don't waste Farshad Energy ) I do it by mySelf as experiment in name of love to this framwork. No competition to PHP or etc. Just i was interested to turn it to popular tasks. That's all. In success case it could be added as Demo. There are things to complete this template - turn it to clientSide for example.

+1  :)

but I disagree with "eShop, Sites, LandingPages" - Do not waste Farshad energy on where UniGUI can never compete on an equal footing with PHP, at least he hasn't free resource for that. UniGUI made for web application, not for site, and should move in this direction.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I agree that the trend is not looking too good.

One solution is to include Unigui with Delphi. Sell it to them.

Farshad, you should contact Embarcadero and start the negotiations.

We would all benefit from that, as the user base would explode 100x

in relatively short time.

Just tell them that "You need this, and we only need to agree on the price."

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

61 years old.  I started with Delphi in 1996 Delphi 1.  Was able to write kick-ass software with Delphi ever since, so, never needed to change, until Delphi got too expensive and buggy, then a year ago I went to Lazarus.  I love Lazarus.  Reminds me of Delphi 1.  Super powerful yet simple and fast.  Why these youngsters think that loading 400GB of garbage, like "Chocolaty" and <what ever else gibberish acronym> in a gigantic stack is somehow "normal" is foreign to me.  Delphi talks directly to the OS's API.  Simple.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Looking at those statistics the immediate questions that come to mind are

1) How many Delphi developers will remain active after 10 - 20 years?

2) What will be the average age of Delphi developers in 10 years from now?

3) With such a trend, is there a chance that Delphi will vanish from the market in a foreseeable future?

OK, I know that there are many younger Delphi developers, but again for Delphi developers, being young means being in 30s!

Pals:

Mi opinion about this, is.....

To make Delphi (Object Pascal) appetizing to younger developers there are some point to cover:

1) The development tool must be free. (or start-up friendly) (like java, php or python)

2) The Web is the NOW and the future; other technology must be discarted, only disperse usefull efforts.

3) Responsive design is the answer to save hours of design work.

4) The cloud will be the the only way to store great amount of data (yes i'm talk about linux server implementations to)

5) Web Mobile development must be a stronger platform with capabilities to store local data on the phone/tablet (on sandbox). Not native app. A new standard may be done to reach this. We are tired of apps that required all permissions only to see family pictures in exchange of lost of privacy (you know wath app i'm talking about)

Tools developers must do its best effort do reach that.

Normal developers must do its best efforts do make amazing applications that encourage and challenge younger developers to do greats applications.

Thats mind rethinks tools, platforms, make a lot of examples, and figth to teach on schools to young minds.

Can we reach all this points with our current tools?........I don't know......maybe yes, maybe not.

Personally I think that Lazarus is a big hit pointing all this.

Best Regads my pals

• 2 weeks later...

+1+1 54 years old, started with digital pdp10 pascal, then basic, logo, assembler, machine code, algol, snobol, lisp, c, cobol, dbase, clipper, delphi, visual fox, c++, javascript, c#, go and some others i forgot, i really love delphi, and Unigui is one amazing tool, i will never stop to code, and also never stop to learn some new languages, even if most of then usually die after few years, some languages are short life languages, but

some of then are funny to learn

• 3 weeks later...