apple-touch-icon icon not working

Wicket

Hi All,

I use apple-touch-icon and apple-touch-icon-precomposed to be able to get a custom icon when adding my app to the homescreen on an iOS device. This then allows the app to open from the home screen with a customer icon, that I have specified on the server.

All is fine when I use the UniGUI standalone server - it just pulls through as expected.

Now, when I deploy using IIS - the icon is not pulled through and the icon is the default (a screen shot of the webpage)

This is pretty important for me, as deployment requires that the web app, looks and feels like a 'native' iOS app, and part of that is having the correct icon on the homescreen.

Any ideas? Do I need to do anything additional in IIS?

Regards,

Dan.

Hello Dan,

This is true, in this case who is managing the icon of your App on the Iphone is Safari, the behavior that it does is this.

To circumvent this problem and the user to have a better experience, I made a simple application in XCode that simply opens a WebView and calls the page of my mobile, it is also hoped in IIS.

Hi Marlon,

It just seemed strange to me that the icon would work fine whilst UniGUI is in standalone server mode, but not when using IIS - I am sure their is some technical reasons why, but my knowledge on IIS is limited at best.

Thanks for your help - the tip to create a simple xcode app to host the app is a possibility for me.

However I wanted to avoid creating native containers - and the iOS 'adding the bookmark' to the home screen is great as it makes the web application appear as a iOS app without the hassle of the apple store/native containers.

Surely this must be achievable via IIS if it works using standalone server mode?

Hi All,

For the benefit of others I have found the solution.Took me awhile to find, and thanks to Marlon for his suggestions.

The icons do not like virtual directories, such as http://localhost/myvirtualdirectory/apple-touch-icon.png

while the default behavior of iOS is to look at the root domain even when you are hosting out of the virtual directory:

Moving the icons here worked, and they now pull through.