IDERA acquires Sencha

jet2050

hello today I received a mail from Sencha:

---------------------------------------------------------

Important Announcement: IDERA Acquires Sencha

Dear Customers,
I am very pleased to announce that IDERA, Inc. has acquired Sencha and that we will be announcing this news publicly soon. Sencha will become part of IDERA, Inc.’s Developer Tools business, combining Embarcadero’s award-winning RAD Studio portfolio with Sencha’s ExtJS framework.
The result will provide powerful solutions for developers to reduce the cost and complexity of developing and delivering enterprise applications across multiple device types.
As you can imagine, there is a lot of work ahead for the IDERA and Sencha teams to ensure a seamless transition. For the time being, Sencha will continue to operate as a separate entity, and customers and partners should continue to do business as usual. Our top priority will be you, and your continued success.
The Sencha team and CEO Art Landro, have built a great company and product that enables thousands of customers and millions of developers around the world to deliver innovative applications that drive their businesses.
We are grateful and excited for the opportunity to learn from Art while also adding more resources and investment to better serve you. I’m sure there will be some changes along the way, but our goal is to continue the Sencha model of providing a great product with great customer service at an affordable price.
I will personally be overseeing the continued success of the Sencha brand as it joins IDERA, Inc.’s Developer Tools family. As such, please feel free to reach out to me directly with any questions or concerns and I will do my best to answer in a timely manner.
Atanas Popov 
atanas.popov@embarcadero.com
General Manager, Embarcadero 
Below is the press release for your early preview:
IDERA, Inc. Acquires Sencha to Strengthen Developer Tools Business 
Austin, Texas – August, 2017 IDERA, Inc., the leading provider of database, development, and test management tools, today announced an agreement to acquire Sencha, a leading web application development platform. Sencha will be integrated with Embarcadero, IDERA, Inc.’s developer tools division. 
Sencha’s Web Application Development Platform empowers companies to seamlessly design, develop and test feature-rich, cross-platform web applications for desktops, tablets and smartphones. In recent studies, customers using Sencha’s full-stack enterprise solution were up to 50 percent more productive than those using other web application frameworks. 
“Sencha’s focus on reducing cost and complexity to develop and deliver web applications is a powerful fit with our development tools business,” said Randy Jacops, CEO of IDERA, Inc. “We are very excited about this space and expect to continue to improve and invest in our developer tools capability.” 
Sencha’s web application development tools power thousands of data-intensive web applications around the world, including 60 percent of the Fortune 100 companies. The company continues to innovate, recently delivering the much-anticipated Sencha Ext JS 6.5 and ExtReact for adding powerful UI components to React applications. 
Sencha’s industry accolades include being named a winner in the User Experience category for the 2017 SD Times 100 Awards, and a CODiE Award finalist in the “Best Mobile Development Solution” for Sencha Ext JS. 
“Sencha matches our mission to deliver agile development tools to our growing global community of developers,” said Atanas Popov, General Manager of Embarcadero. “It broadens the languages we support by adding JavaScript, and delivers broad synergies with our existing product portfolio. For example, Sencha Ext JS will provide a powerful Web Framework for Embarcadero’s RAD Studio to complement our native frameworks, including VCL for Windows and FMX for Mobile.” 
“We believe joining the IDERA developer tools family will enhance Sencha’s R&D and go-to-market capabilities,” said Art Landro, CEO of Sencha. “This is a logical step in our efforts to continue opening our product frameworks by making them interoperable with new technologies to maximize customer value.” 
About IDERA, Inc. 
IDERA, Inc. delivers B2B software productivity tools that enable technical users to do more with less -- from database administrators, to database and application developers, to test management teams. IDERA, Inc. brands span three business units evangelized by millions of community members and more than 50,0000 customers worldwide, including more than 90% of the Fortune 500. 
About Embarcadero 
Embarcadero tools are built for elite developers who build and maintain the world’s most critical applications. Our customers choose Embarcadero because we are the champion of developers, and our tools help them build more secure and scalable enterprise applications faster than any others on the market. In fact, ninety of the Fortune 100 and an active community of more than three million users worldwide rely on Embarcadero’s award-winning products. Embarcadero is a division of IDERA. To learn more, visit www.embarcadero.com or www.sencha.com for free trials, free tools and more.

---------------------------------------------------------
  • Upvote 1

This news has warmed the uniGUI Groups in Brazil, all worried about the future of the product, if it will be acquired by idera, if idera will not hinder the improvement of the framework, it would be a good word for your Farshad to give us more security than it can Change, thank you.

• Upvote 1

I see as three scenarios:

1) good for unigui: In this scenario Unigui will have a partner much closer to its "single" Delphi compiler, as Sencha is a fundamental part of Unigui, maybe there is a good partnership in the future.

2) bad for Unigui: In this scenario Idera realized the interesting technology developed by FMSoft and decided to acquire Sencha and then create its own engine between Delphi and Sencha, this would be a new competitor to Unigui.

3) bad: In this scenario Idera decides to buy Unigui too, after all already bought

Sencha, why not Unigui?

Anyway I hope it serves as a meditation point for Farshad, if you want to continue with Unigui, maybe you should think of an independent compiler "freepascal lazarus" and an independent javascript / jquery mobile web api, so it would not have Problems of seeing your partner being acquired by a bigger predator.

Now if our friend Farshad wants to generate a valuable product (as he has done) and intends every day to increase his "golden egg hen" so that he can have a greater value every day and who knows how to make a good sale of Unigui in the Future, I believe this scenario is getting closer and closer.

• Upvote 1

Friends,

I believe that there is no reason for despair, since idera has been focusing a lot on the development of the tools it acquires.

I imagine that her focus now is to have a productive web tool to make available in her portfolio and thus complete her product line focused on the rapid development of solutions.

Sencha acquired all these customers over the years, and Idera would not be crazy to change the product engine and lose those customers overnight.

So I think we just have to expect good results from this acquisition, and I imagine that it will not affect the unigui, which has been evolving every day. And showing that it is an effective and objective tool for us Pascal object developers.

I see as three scenarios:

1) good for unigui: In this scenario Unigui will have a partner much closer to its "single" Delphi compiler, as Sencha is a fundamental part of Unigui, maybe there is a good partnership in the future.

2) bad for Unigui: In this scenario Idera realized the interesting technology developed by FMSoft and decided to acquire Sencha and then create its own engine between Delphi and Sencha, this would be a new competitor to Unigui.

3) bad: In this scenario Idera decides to buy Unigui too, after all already bought
Sencha, why not Unigui?

Anyway I hope it serves as a meditation point for Farshad, if you want to continue with Unigui, maybe you should think of an independent compiler "freepascal lazarus" and an independent javascript / jquery mobile web api, so it would not have Problems of seeing your partner being acquired by a bigger predator.

Now if our friend Farshad wants to generate a valuable product (as he has done) and intends every day to increase his "golden egg hen" so that he can have a greater value every day and who knows how to make a good sale of Unigui in the Future, I believe this scenario is getting closer and closer.

Agree with you. All possibilities should be evaluated...

Hello,

As I know, most of the smaller companies bought by BIG predators, products dies at the end. Just look at the history, what Oracle (except Sun-Java), Microsoft (Dynamic, Visual FoxPro, other may products), SAP (PowerBuilder, and many others), SAGE and Intuit (accounting giants) stop developing all products they purchased like AccPAC, DacEasy, etc.

I suffered a lot due to PowerBuilder and Visual FoxPro.

Farshad, you should and MUST think about some other open source JS solution. These BIG predators can do any thing. As far I know they don't care about customers, they just care about how they can earn more and eliminate their competitors. My company has almost decided to go with UnuGui on my recommendation with one of our consultants but this news has put a question mark on every IT person.

I was also thinking to go with UniGui for my future projects. I am very much impressed with your development. Two thumbs up.

BUT UniGui needs some more built-in rich functionality in its components as I have already mentioned somewhere else.

Some are:

- Dropdown form or frame please take a look at EhLib.com (Very must have functionality for all. I hope everyone will agree)

- No need to create separate components for DB and non-DB aware. One component is enough as did by InfoPower and EhLib. This way less maintenance for you and those developers who inherit from these components, add some functionality for their own use and everybody do this.

- ButtonEdit a must have component (my developer really missed it).

- Option to run on Linux to get rid of Bill Gates server and slightly high cost.

- Encourage some partner to develop third party components for UniGui as TMS did for IntraWeb. Offer some inside documentation, details and even FREE developer license (if possible). This will be a huge plus point.

- You focus on the main components and framework and other people develop for UniGui.

- The built-in help of components in the IDE.

- Some scenario based complete projects with documentation.This will help a lot for the new comers to start without mistakes immediately. Also, stress tool graph for more than 4000-5000 users with server resource recommendation. If we develop real time Web App for the public. It is not a hard case, such as school, colleges, and universities Web Apps. So to put UniGui to the limit this has to be done. There will be a very good sign and name if some big companies adopt it and develop real web apps. If you put such information in front of any IT Pro, he can decide fast or they go for some demo development, put in front of Boss. This is a long process as I am passing at this time.

I am very new to UniGui but not Delphi. I haven't developed a single demo project. It is all based on my 2 team members. Please correct me on any point if I am wrong.

ALLAH may bless you and UniGUI, and keep such predators away.

Regards

• Upvote 2

• Administrators

Friends,

So I entedi of what Jim commented in the Farshad post on the embarcadero, in the future the embarcadero is thinking of developing its own web framework.

Let me know if you also have this opinion of the post?

Jim's comment is confusing. If they want to create their own framework why they would want to promote 3rd parties?

Probably at this stage nobody will make any official comment that would make sense. Jim has also made a reference to Kitto. Kitto is no longer developed for a long time.

In reality the only Ext JS based option available is uniGUI.

BTW, if Embarcadero has become familiar with Sencha, certainly it was through uniGUI. uniGUI showed them the power of Ext JS combined with Delphi.

As I said, nothing is clear now. We will continue developing uniGUI as before. Our roadmap is clear and our plans are made.

• Upvote 4

Jim's comment is confusing. If they want to create their own framework why they would want to promote 3rd parties?

Probably at this stage nobody will make any official comment that would make sense. Jim has also made a reference to Kitto. Kitto is no longer developed for a long time.

BTW, if Embarcadero has become familiar with Sencha, certainly it was through uniGUI. uniGUI showed them the power of Ext JS combined with Delphi.

As I said, nothing is clear now. We will continue developing uniGUI as before. Our roadmap is clear and our plans are made.

For sure Farshad, the unigui today is unbeatable, we hope it will continue like this for several years.

Let us continue to trust and use unigui to its fullest, we know that you and your team will continue to give us this fantastic support that has been taking place in recent years.
  • Upvote 1

Based on previous acquisitions of EMB* of other thrid parties, they never add features to it, only just make it compatible with newer edition, to name few, Raize, Bold, Firedac, Castalia.

Also if they want to start from scratch to implement their own solutions, it will needs years before came to be stable and production ready such as FMX.

I think UniGui has much clear path, better support, and already has a good user base with Pro edition, which I think EMB* will not make it available for this range of users.

• Upvote 1

To understand what is happening, we should place ourselves on the side of idera:

1. idera, sees a flaw, a blatant lack and a shortfall in the EMB web products.

2. idera sees in unigui, the ideal solution to overcome this lack. She wants unigui.

3. Idera wants to offer Unigui as an add-on, at a reasonable price, she will have to get rid of the expensive Sencha licenses.

4. What she did by absorbing sencha company.

5. idera is a good player: she counts on the 3 millions Delphi users in the world, Who are impressed by unigui project.

6. Idera has no intention of re-inventing the wheel. It will be satisfied with the hard work of FMSOFT, of what has endured Farshad since 2009 !

7. Finally, as an apotheosis, it would be logical for idera to integrate FmSoft as an EMB partner.

• Upvote 2

• Administrators

Isn't mean end of Sencha upgrade possibility for UniGui ? I understand that current licenses regulations are valid. But I don't belive that new owner will be interested to sell upgrade for market rival.

No, there is no such possibility. There is an official contract between Sencha and FMSoft securing the right to distribute OEM licenses of  Ext JS.

Interesting news. Hope this will benefit or at least let FMSoft continue as it is. Really like the current UniGUI roadmap and what is already implemented in UniGUI. I did not buy a UniGUI license because I had Delphi, I purchased a Delphi license because I wanted to extend it with a UniGUI license. 

Regards

Eirik

• Upvote 1

If Farshad not join to this project, They share minimum 2-3 years later. 'cos they have not no how about join sencha and delphi. Don't forget this. Delphi's team has to now two side, delphi and java& sencha. And need Indy and I forget name that 3d party component communicate with sencha and delphi.

So, I mean this project, Delphi & sencha with web app, nearly 2-3 years later, and maybe. ofcourse this is my idea. So If you planning make web app with delphi in shortly time, buy unigui. He has no how and its stable project. And unigui has experience about this, all over the world. Think, Delphi has Intraweb component set. Its version is 14x and how long come with delphi, did you compare with unigui?

For waiting think, Did you follow how long been linux support? and you know, its just console support. FMX support OSX, maybe not know, osx is BSD, variant of unix, just not opensource.

Competition is a must

• Upvote 1