Deploy: IIS vs Apache

ricardolb

Hi Folks, just wanted to start a discussion around the options we have for deploying our UniGUI application, I'm currently using Apache 2.4 and I am having some Thread and Memory related problems, not regarding UniGUI, but Apache itself, for instance, apache memory never goes down, it just keeps growing, not sure if it's my application's problem or Apache, haven't tried with IIS yet, wanted to hear from you guys what are your experiences with the one you chose, and PROS and CONS of each

apache:

As far as i know apache loads a module on startup and exactliy this instance of the module lives until apache server stops running. A error or memory leak inside your module tends to make the whole apache server instable. That was a main reason why we changed to the IIS. Maybe that behavior has changed meanwhile.

IIS:

You can configure IIS to load and unload the module as is needed. We running more then 200 modules here on one IIS server. If per example a module get no request 10 min then configure the IIS to unload it. The benefit of this is a smaller overal memory need. Also we can update modules while the IIS keep running. We have serveral application pools configured, so we need only to restart the pool where the updated module lives under.

Edit:

Of course first try to eliminate memory leaks in your module ;-).

• Like 1