Linux Support needed

DonaldShimoda

I love UNIGUI, but cannot even think in use if dont works on Linux on ARM and win platforms. Lazarus do that job, i have several delphi app compiling ok on LAZARUS for ARM. Why can you migrate this?

If you do i will by a PRO license.

Theres any estimation, work in progress there? 

Donald,

I hear you, but we need to release our long-awaited version 1.00 first before we can work on a different branch such as ARM platform.

You don't need to touch a single one of code to release for arm. If you have it running on linux 386 will work on arm also, if you use lazarus off course. Si your code very connected windows? I can't see why must be? Do you use INDY server components? They work excellent on lazarus/linux/arm

Personally talking I don't need that Delphi make visual apps on Linux, only services or web apps, the actual model that use PAServer used to deploy and test executables on others platforms I think is viable to be used on Linux to.

A UniGui app is in his interior a VCL app.

The problem could be the inner of components. We know that internally a UniGui component use a GDI handler that is a Window only feature, thas minds that use calls to windows api to work

Is possible that Delphi use internally a Wine package to work to. The problem with this is that Wine does not support windows services only Desktop and console applications.

This is the problem that forces to Borland times ago to use QTWidgets to implement Kylix. I don't know how FireMonkey implements internally but it work on Android an IOS.

Then UniGui could migrate to FireMoneky internally to be capable to be used as a LInux app.

Very good!, then we can think about UniGui on Linux on very soon!.

Actually if You compile a console app (for example with intraweb) you can use it in Linux with "wineconsole <youapp.exe>" and in the file "rc.local" (of Fedora) can be setted to "wineconsole <youapp.exe> > null" and when the server start your web app at start to.

I was think that this coold'n be possible with UniGui because the standalone app show a window on the tray. Thats means that uses windows gui to work.

If in a future if UniGui standalone app does not show a windows could be used this way and therfore a UniGui app could be possible to be used on Linux.

Only need to use a guardian to start up the web app if crash for some reason.

Only for telling....once I'm install on my android table an app for configuration of the launcher that implements its user interface with ExtJS. And I remember that is possible with Java to implement a local embedded web server.

I think if UniGui can be used as a Android Service or Android App or a IOS app as console or service app wil be possible to do the same on every platform that Delphi support and therfore used to make embedded apps using UniGui.

This will be awesome.....dream will not cost anything.

Best Regards

Very good!, then we can think about UniGui on Linux on very soon!.

Actually if You compile a console app (for example with intraweb) you can use it in Linux with "wineconsole <youapp.exe>" and in the file "rc.local" (of Fedora) can be setted to "wineconsole <youapp.exe> > null" and when the server start your web app at start to.

Don't work for ARM IOT. And we don't know how much will cover next linux delphi compiler. FPC does it now. And not any arm, it builds for any platform supported by FPC. 

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Don't work for ARM IOT. And we don't know how much will cover next linux delphi compiler. FPC does it now. And not any arm, it builds for any platform supported by FPC. 

My friend i can help you in the migration to lazarus/fpc, please let me know if i can be util in any way. I have BIG interest on have unigui servers running on arm devices (like RPI3, Beaglebone, Banan pi, etc) That will not happen with Delphi Linux compiler from several years ago if that even happens. Please, think in lazarus as a option or provide source code to professional sbscribers to allow to try it on lazarus/fpc.

Just suggestions.

Best regards.