Session TimeOut

Harry Rogers

It looks as if any 'internal' activity prevents the timeout being reached, so it is not a measure of user inactivity. Am I correct ?

- e.g take the simple session timeout demo.

Add a Unitimer to the main form - it doesn't have to have an event handler that does anything.

If the timer is enabled the Session timeout condition is never reached.

If I'm correct in this : what is a good way to measure user inactivity ? I would like to throw up a mask on the screen and make a user re-identify themselves after a period of no mouse or keyboard activity - not end the session or lose any of the existing screen /data states. I'm guessing some client side Javascript could increment a value every n seconds of nothing happening on the UI and that Delphi could read it periodically - but don't know how to realise this.

Many thanks

• 4 years later...
  • 2 months later...
On 12/5/2014 at 1:07 PM, Farshad Mohajeri said:

Yes, a uniTimer with a server side event handler will indefinitely prevent session timeout.

What do you mean with "server side event handler". You mean implemente the OnEventHandler event of the UniTimer component ? If yes, it does not work. 

What should I do to prevent timeout unless the browser is closed or the energy gone ?

8 hours ago, RobertoLopes said:

What do you mean with "server side event handler". You mean implemente the OnEventHandler event of the UniTimer component ? If yes, it does not work. 

Hello,

Provide an example to check why it doesn't work as you say.

8 hours ago, RobertoLopes said:

What should I do to prevent timeout unless the browser is closed or the energy gone ?

As said above use UniTimer.

Or use the UniTimer with dummyEvents.