#121 Alberto vesx

Alberto vesx

Advanced Member

• uniGUI Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 02:59 PM

Hi Farshad,

I can not do this when I download and install a new version. The license key activation file (from previous version) does not work, so I have to request another key for every virtual machine or pc that I used: "3) Well, in order to install uniGUI on a new PC you need to activate your copy of uniGUI. You can also save your license key for one PC and install on that PC uniGUI again without activation."

Is it right or I am doing something wrong?

Best regards

#122 Farshad Mohajeri

Farshad Mohajeri

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 9820 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 02:35 PM

The license key activation file (from previous version) does not work,

Yes, for each uniGUI version you need to keep a copy of license key for that version. Keys are compatible across builds from same version, but as soon as version number changes (1.0.0  -> 1.0.1) you need to refresh your key.

#123 Farshad Mohajeri

Farshad Mohajeri

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 9820 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 03:20 PM

I know that if FMSOFT ceases to exist, we can continue developing software using uniGUI and even fix minor bugs in some cases. However, there are many extremely important files that are not shipped with source code. While I understand that there are some reasons not to ship complete source code, I also think that it's a risk for us if FMSOFT halts all uniGUI development. Truth is, that if this happens, it would be devastating blow to many and not being able to continue developing uniGUI and fix potential bugs in it would be disastrous.

Question is, what could be viable solution to this? Would it be possible ship complete source code in case FMSOFT decides to halt uniGUI development or if it is finishing its activities. In any case, I think there should be some kind of mechanism to protect us from these kind of things.

This thing has bothered us a bit and I'm sure there have been some discussion about it at some point but I don't remember reading definitive answer to that. I don't want to seem negative, but this is something that we must prepare for. I'm sure FMSOFT is not going anywhere in near future but things can change at some point.

Hi Mika,

I understand your concerns, but let's analyze the worst case situation:

If your current version of uniGUI is stable enough for you then it is highly unlikely that in the future a show-stopper bug prevents you from developing further because even if there are some hidden bugs and none of us are not affected by that bug it will be easy to isolate that bug or implement a workaround for that particular bug. As I said, if current version of uniGUI works for you in production even in the worst case scenario it will continue working.

We have tried to keep the protection not so aggressive so our licensed users won't be affected in a bad way. That's why we allow you to save the license key in a text file for future reference. Again, as one developer stated above you can install the whole development inside a VM.

Mu view is that in the worst case scenario you will be able to continue development even for new projects.

Unfortunately, we need to keep a protection mechanism because some developers do not comprehend why they shouldn't use pirated copies of software. At the same time we tried to keep a balance and make sure our developers has least dependency to us. I know that it is not the best possible situation from your point of view.

That said, we will try to provide full source code for uniGUI core libraries in future.

I am ready to answer more questions on this.

#124 mika

mika

Advanced Member

• uniGUI Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 02:50 PM

Thank you for your answer Farshad. I do understand that you have to have some kind of protection against piracy but usually pirates will find a way to pirate software illegally, unfortunately.

I'm sure we can live with this situation and as you said, development is possible in the future too even if uniGUI is not in active development. However, I would be very pleased to know if there were some sort of agreement that would release source code in full if something unexpecting happens. 

Anyway, I understand your position in this matter. Thank you for your hard work and dedication.

// Mika

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users