XE7 lands

Harry Rogers

Agreed Ronny

Upgrade Cost to me:

XE7 Pro Upgrade : $512.10
Firedac Client/Server New: $467.10

If I want to do mobile development:

Mobile Add On Pack: $467.10

Total Immediate Cost: $1446.30 (Plus being in South Africa the exchange rate makes this nearly 11 times more: ZAR 15,562.19)

Then the "unseen" costs of the time it will take to bring all production systems onto the latest version.

I don't think so, I do not see a compelling reason at this stage to assist with Embarcadero's revenue generating activities.

In six months time you will need to re-charge again, sorry not now.

• Administrators

Agreed Ronny

Upgrade Cost to me:

XE7 Pro Upgrade : $512.10

Firedac Client/Server New: $467.10

If I want to do mobile development:

Mobile Add On Pack: $467.10

Total Immediate Cost: $1446.30 (Plus being in South Africa the exchange rate makes this nearly 11 times more: ZAR 15,562.19)

Then the "unseen" costs of the time it will take to bring all production systems onto the latest version.

I don't think so, I do not see a compelling reason at this stage to assist with Embarcadero's revenue generating activities.

In six months time you will need to re-charge again, sorry not now.

Go with SA. It is the most cost effective way of staying updated with all new releases.

From uniGUI point of view Parallel Computing is the main deal here. With this feature a uniGUI server can take full advantage of all CPU cores.

ok, and one of my (virtual) servers has 16 of its kind..... ok, name them vCores. So Farshad please explain: Only if upgrading to XE7 an UniGUI application can make use of all cores due to restrictions of older Delphi versions? In the moment I stuck with XE3, but that would be the moment to upgrade to XE7 for the real world applications. 

• Administrators

ok, and one of my (virtual) servers has 16 of its kind..... ok, name them vCores. So Farshad please explain: Only if upgrading to XE7 an UniGUI application can make use of all cores due to restrictions of older Delphi versions? In the moment I stuck with XE3, but that would be the moment to upgrade to XE7 for the real world applications. 

First of all we must implement this feature in uniGUI. I haven't look it at yet, but seems it needs some serious work.on our side.

First of all we must implement this feature in uniGUI. I haven't look it at yet, but seems it needs some serious work.on our side.

then at the moment a server with more than ....say....8 vCores or something and only used for one UniGUI application makes no sense, because the UniGUI application only uses a fraction of them, although 5 or 10 users are waiting for response? Is there any difference on that fact between Isapi and standalone application? That may mean that a (virtual) server with 8 vCores acts the same as a server with 16 vCores. I just do testing the heavy ones from Strato, Contabo, HostEurope and some others, and this would be an interesting point when rating the results.

• Administrators

Parallel computing is a whole new topic. We are not limited to XE7 to do this. It can be done in older Delphi versions too. See OmniThreadLibrary.

A normal Delphi app runs on a single CPU Core. It does not mean you won't get advantage of other core.s They will be used for I/O and other OS related tasks. Of course, in an 8 core CPU you only get a little power from combined computing power in your Delphi application.

That said, as far as uniGUI is concerned, most of time RAM is more vital than CPU power.