Ext JS OEM License

Farshad Mohajeri

249 members have voted

1. 1. Will you purchase an Ext JS OEM license which costs ~300 USD?

• Yes, I will do so.
    • Sorry, I am unable to do so.
    • I already own a valid Ext JS license.

Farshad calls an act of faith, asking for money for a product still in production without a defined route, and even without knowing the final price .... I think it's very logical what has happened, many people are waiting to see how the product evolves.

He did not ask for money for UniGUI - but even if it were the case, it would be his good right after 2 years! 

At the moment, he simply asked for our vote, whether and how much we would be willing to donate so he can bring the vital but for him understandably very, very expensive ExtJS OEM license agreement signed and sealed!

1. Without this license agreement, we all can no longer go on as before. That's not a new fact!
2. Without this license agreement, UniGUI could not be brought as easy and successful on the market (no "free trial download", no hassle-free deployment for users...).
3. But this should be in everyone's interest who invests a lot of development effort and counts on an evolving UniGUI for the future!

Farshads miscalculation was unfortunately to rely on his community and their willingness to help decisively now. In this situations we love to say in Germany "it's time to do butter to the fish" :-)

Perhaps it is due to a lack of sales talent at the moment (which we as creative developers unfortunately often missing). But I would also not have expected that he must sell us the topic right now! 

Variscan, if you want to sell a product, you have to always defend , in closed or open forum, and more for 1200 many potential customers. 

Wrong. You should never ever have to defend your product but convince customers to use and love it - so they're very willing to pay for! Take a look at successful Apple - and the counterpart Embarcadero...

• Upvote 1

• Administrators

This is my last post at this thread, because I look like the bad guy, and it isn't. I only want to expose because I think only a few are willing to pay.

You're welcome. I respect everyone's view.

In the morning, I work in government company, where all is based in web applications (in whose development I do not intervene), and all are made with php, javascript(I suppose) and lately with aspx.

I don't doubt to Unigui power, just saying that when you are surprised by the few developers who are willing to pay you for your work, you have to assess the environment in which you move, and that isn't the medium or big company.

I'm just surprised few developers who have voted yet. I'm not asking anyone to pay at the moment. The only glitch is Ext JS license. Developers have two choices:

1) Get the Ext JS license and continue with us until version 1.0

2) Stop using beta versions and wait until product is ready.

I think it is quite fair.

I would not want it to end the project for lack of buyers or users, because as I said has been my lifeline.

This is not likely to happen.

Farshad calls an act of faith, asking for money for a product still in production without a defined route, and even without knowing the final price ....

Route is defined:

0.94, 0.95, 0.96, 1.0RC1, 1.0RC2 and  1.0

It is clear from now that what uniGUI will look like. It is obvious that there will be no radical changes. Anyone can decide by now if uniGUI is suitable for their projects or not.

I think it's very logical what has happened, many people are waiting to see how the product evolves.

That is understandable. As I said above. Everyone is free to make a choice from above 2 choices. No one is forced to pay a single cent for uniGUI. That's the Ext JS license which you need to buy for reasons I already explained many times. Also those who want to donate more are much welcome to do so.

From the very beginning, it seemed clear to me that UniGUI was going to be a commercial product, and I am 100% OK with that.

700USD or 350+350 (buying ExtJS separately) makes no difference to me.

Unfortunately I can't donate, I am not allowed to do that.

• Administrators

A great job!

I just wanted to ask a question:

with the license to be 320usd I can create and deploy an application for those who want or for any distributed application, the user must buy a new license js?

You can create unlimited apps and deploy to unlimited users as long as you don't violate section 4 of Sencha SDK commercial license:

4. PROHIBITED USES

You may not redistribute the Software or Modifications other than by including the Software or a portion thereof within Your Application. You may not redistribute the Software or Modifications as part of any Application that can be described as a development toolkit or library, an application builder, a website builder or any Application that is intended for use by software, application, or website developers or designers. You may not redistribute any part of the Software documentation. You may not change or remove the copyright notice from any of the files included in the Software or Modifications.

UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES MAY YOU USE THE SOFTWARE FOR AN APPLICATION THAT IS INTENDED FOR SOFTWARE OR APPLICATION DEVELOPMENT PURPOSES.

You are required to ensure that the Software is not reused by or with any applications other than those with which You distribute it as permitted herein. For example, if You install the Software on a customer’s server, that customer is not permitted to use the Software independently of Your Application, and must be informed as such.

You are not allowed to distribute Applications which leverage Sencha Touch for use on any Embedded Device, apart from use within a general purpose web browser. The term “Embedded Device” shall mean hardware products that are designed and/or marketed to have a specific primary purpose, including without limitation any the following alone or in combination with each other: television, television receiver, game console, personal video recorder, player for digital versatile disc or other optical media, video camera, still camera, camcorder, GPS device, navigation device, in-car telematics device, in-car entertainment console, medical devices, video editing and format conversion device, video image projection device, or any similar type of consumer, professional or industrial device. The term “Embedded Device” shall also include general purpose hardware products that are permanently integrated into other products that have a specific primary purpose, such as automobiles, trucks, busses, recreational vehicles, refrigerators and other household appliances, beds and chairs. The term “Embedded Device” shall not include hardware products which are designed and marketed with the primary purpose of operating a wide variety of productivity, entertainment, and other software applications provided by unrelated third party software vendors, nor shall the term include devices designed and/or marketed primarily as a telephone or similar telephony based device, provided such device similarly supports a wide variety of productivity, entertainment, and other software applications provided by unrelated third party software vendors. Notwithstanding the foregoing, you may distribute Applications which leverage Sencha Touch on a number of Embedded Devices that does not exceed the limit established by Us as requiring fees, as posted at sencha.com/products/touch/license or as otherwise agreed by Us in writing.

• Administrators

my little advices: 

.) try to promote UniGui a bit more agressive in the delphi world.

.) make clear that it will mature soon and the beta may become to 1.0 in the near future.

.) promote the time limited money savings for x and y - if people hear that they can save money, they will take a detailed look how they can save it.

I agree with most of what you say here.

• Administrators

.) Bring the Website in some better shape

.) ...in this course you could give the (perhaps NonVCL) child a new name ;-)

.) Add Links to existing documentations (Wiki, Quickstart-Guides...) to avoid FAQ's by beginners

.) Please just decide and don't discuss and poll with us too much - even a bad descision is something the mass has to live with :-)

.) Realize that you are unrivaled! Use this advantage in the good and don't get disappointed by some people who might not capture/understand everything right now...

Good points.

All will be sorted out in time.

• Administrators

From the very beginning, it seemed clear to me that UniGUI was going to be a commercial product, and I am 100% OK with that.

700USD or 350+350 (buying ExtJS separately) makes no difference to me.

Unfortunately I can't donate, I am not allowed to do that.

Are you allowed to buy an Ext JS OEM license from us?

Are you using uniGUI in your projects?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi to uniGui community. I use delphi till delphi 1 (many people on this forum I think also), and the last 15 days I make an extend research for rad environments for "delphi-oriented" web applications. I try a lot (Morfik, Intraweb, scriptcase etc). On my Google search I stuck on Unigui liked the demo and try to dowload. From where? Oops nothing works on the site. I finally send a despetate mail (trully, I believe that It never be answered) from where I can download it and 9 days later get the response. I did all that intro to say that Unigui gives the feeling that is another one dead project (after download it I realise that is trully active), redesign the website it is a must I think, because all delphi community, need such a solution. It is like you have guests/customers and you close the door to theme.

I am very excited on this product! I want to use it for deploy web apps, but I do not find anyone talking about performance issues. Performance on how many users concurrent, hardware requirements and staff like this. Moreover does anyone on that forum used uniGui for a commercial application? Deployed on linux server?

Thanks for your time

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have no problem to buy a Sencha license to continue testing Unigui, I think the Unigui Future it brilliant, I have used it in some intranets projects and the product pays for itself even being in beta.

Just read some "Sample Projects" forum, to see what the people is doing with Unigui. :).

So if Sencha is a great product itself, but  working with Unigui is an incredible great tool for us, we have nothing to thing.

Thanks Farshad for your dedication to Unigui. 

PD. Sry my english.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Farshad, an interesting product which uses ExtJS is ext.net (www.ext.net). Only want to mention the price tables here, not the product because its not based on Delphi. When you look at the prices you see the price per developer which includes (newest) ExtJS is 595$, the price of the Ext.net license alone is 329$. So they charge 266$ for the bundled ExtJS license one may think BUT...... look at the benefits of the bundle - http://www.ext.net/store/#benefits - premium support, source code and so on. Of course charged every year you want to have the current version of ExtJS and Ext.net. Maybe thats an interesting comparison for your maybe negotiation with Sencha and also an interesting approach for your calculations of an upcoming UniGui/ExtJS-bundle. Success is always a marketing thing - don`t set the price too high, the higher the price, the  less licenses you will sell. Don`t make it too cheap.... but look left and right what other vendors take for their licenses, even when they are not useable for Delphi. Something around 600$ or at most 700$ for the bundle, support and source per year would be ok, if you go much higher, you may become troubles in selling licenses. Thats only my humble opinion, which I hope I can post here without beeing stoned B)  

Best Regards

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everybody,

I'm new in UniGui (Im downloading the installation file at this moment) and, my opinion is if after evaluate the product it work as it seems to work its worth any dollar we pay for it and sencha and any other tools we need in order to development modern, secure, stable and fast application. So, Farshad, nice to meet you, you have positive vote.

• Upvote 1

• 7 months later...

Let's unburrow this topic, sorry if this causes some trouble.

I didn't vote yet cause I think that could have more options. Something like 'I plan to buy an ExtJS license when uniGUI final is launched', this should be the option I'll take.

Regards,

Andrei

• 4 years later...