Delphi XE3: An Unpleasant Surprise

Farshad Mohajeri

• Administrators

It has revealed that XE3 Pro will not allow Client / Server application development.

Related blog post:

http://www.deltics.co.nz/blog/?p=1097

New EULA:

http://bbs.2ccc.com/...?topicid=410504

This will only affect new customers not existing licenses or upgrades.

Honestly, I don't understand what Embarcadero is trying to do. This new EULA will badly affect Delphi market. It also highly damage 3rd Party developers who develop middle-tier data access Frameworks.

I'm not sure if this will affect Web Application development. I will try to learn more details regarding this.

That's quite a bombshell. Will they actually try and enforce it - they will need a pretty clear definition of what 'local' means in this context. You could argue that for a web app the client (browser) is simply relaying the activity of the server and it is the server that is doing all the data access which may or not be 'local' to that server.

Quite a fundamental shift for the product that claims to 'Build applications that connect everywhere' (http://www.embarcadero.com/products/delphi).

This news has certainly set the forum alight! https://forums.embarcadero.com/thread.jspa?threadID=76082&tstart=0

David I so far has only reiterated the 'Grandfather' clause rather than provide any clarification.

I saw your question re Web Apps, Farshad.

I'll ask David I, directly, what the implications are at the XE3 World Tour on the 18th in London.

Farshad Mohajeri,

Urgent port Unigui to Lazarus/FPC !!!!

If this is true, many people will leave Delphi.

As the unigui is based on ExtPascal and can be used in Lazarus, because not migrate? Right now is a serious thing for you to think and analyze.

Perhaps most important at this point to think about Lazarus / FPC than migrate to EXTJS 4 or 4.1

Regards,

Fabio Souza

• Administrators

I don't expect a sudden change in Delphi eco-system. This will only affect new sales and existing customers won't be affected. At least those with active SA or a XE2 license are so-called "grandfatherd".

I found this new EULA totally absurd. They could remove their own C/S components but why limiting my own will/ability to access whatever I want through a TCP connection? EMBT is heading for trouble. I hope they will revise their decision.

• Administrators

Farshad Mohajeri,

Urgent port Unigui to Lazarus/FPC !!!!

If this is true, many people will leave Delphi.

As the unigui is based on ExtPascal and can be used in Lazarus, because not migrate? Right now is a serious thing for you to think and analyze.

Perhaps most important at this point to think about Lazarus / FPC than migrate to EXTJS 4 or 4.1

Nothing much will change in short term. In long term we need to wait and see.

Many people may leave Delphi, but will they turn to Lazarus/FPC?

Probably not since the great cocorrentente Delphi is Microsoft with its .NET.

But if there are tools that allow me to continue using Pascal and allow me to use the knowledge I have in this language, I will surely migrate to Lazarus.

As Unigui is a new design and many companies think of adopting it to develop new projects, certainly worth thinking about going to Lazarus. I'm not talking here in porting an VCL application of Delphi 7 (or any version) to version XE3.

Many companies are investing in Lazarus. We will have the official launch of version 1.0 and will support FastReports. We already have the UniDAC / RemObjects working on Lazarus and believe in others going to Lazarus / FPC.

If developers leave Delphi, everyone will lose, me you and the entire community.

Do you think it is easier to develop Unigui to .NET? I think not ...

Probably not since the great cocorrentente Delphi is Microsoft with its .NET.

But if there are tools that allow me to continue using Pascal and allow me to use the knowledge I have in this language, I will surely migrate to Lazarus.

As Unigui is a new design and many companies think of adopting it to develop new projects, certainly worth thinking about going to Lazarus. I'm not talking here in porting an VCL application of Delphi 7 (or any version) to version XE3.

Many companies are investing in Lazarus. We will have the official launch of version 1.0 and will support FastReports. We already have the UniDAC / RemObjects working on Lazarus and believe in others going to Lazarus / FPC.

If developers leave Delphi, everyone will lose, me you and the entire community.

Do you think it is easier to develop Unigui to .NET? I think not ...

Please, Dont mention .NET

David Intersimone has already confirmed it.

Thanks for your info. :)

BTW, as Dmytro Lendel said, the price for XE3 is not published.

Maybe, it's a good step for Delphi price (cheaper, like an iPhone 4S series price) ...maybe :lol:

As a worse trick I see is product and licence extraction of "mobile studio", i.e. ARM toolchain for Android and iOS (expected in Q1 2013 as add-on to XE3 IDE). This is really killing our plans and investments. I'm not afraid to say it's unfair business practice. Nevertheless, I hope that Delphi community will stay alive and finally we will be rewarded for loyalty in some excellent features after many years of stagnation. But Embarcadero should be very careful in making any licence changes.

BTW: David I is just a "face" for me now, not icon, I'm not sure if he is able or willing to make some (good) changes inside EMBT, as many developers hope. Some new executive, charismatic and developer-oriented leader wanted.

XE3 is out...

The Embarcadero reviewed the license for Rad Studio XE3. At least some good news:

"We now have a final license agreement. There should be nothing in the

final EULA -- when it is truly finalized in the RTM version -- that

should cause any problems for partners or our customers. The license

(EULA) is basically similar to the XE2 file. The EULA (which is included

with every shipping product) will become "final" when the we sign off

the release to manufacturing build. We have included portions of the

final EULA below. Note that any Professional edition restrictions still

included are only related only to the use of "dbExpress" technology and

do not restrict the use of technolgy partner or other 3rd

party client/server or multi-tier technologies by Professional edition

customers."

• Upvote 1