Potential new customer - several questions

Petzy

** an answer to any of the question would help **

Hello,

It's been a few years now since I worked with uniGUI.

I have an offer for a long-term single project that I would get off the ground and then manage and I'm thinking to buy a uniGUI Complete license for it and do it in that.

To that end, since I haven't kept up with updates, I'd appreciate it if you guys can help me out with some answers to my question, so I can reach a decision faster:

Question 1: Type of Server

Windows or Linux? Assuming that the Windows extra cost (license) isn't an issue for me, would you recommend I go with that or rather with Linux? What is your experience/recommendation and why? Does uniGUI still work best under Windows or has it caught up to Linux and there's no difference (other than Windows license cost)?

Question 2: Development

Can I develop uniGUI on a Windows machine as a Standalone, after that - add Linux as the platform, set Release and compile it to that and then run that uniGUI on a Linux server? Assuming I'm gonna buy the Linux hosting and not the Windows one

Question 3: HyperServer

Can I use it if I choose a Linux server and not a Windows server? Any important differences?

Question 4: Hosting provider

I'll be going with Contabo most likely. VPS M I'm thinking - Windows or Linux. (so 6vCPU Cores, 16 GB RAM, 200 GB NVMe)

Would that be enough to handle, say, 100 concurrent users? What would the concurrent user limit be to that Contabo VPS M, in your experience, assuming good development practices and such?

Question 5: Database heavy application

I'll be hooking uniGUI up to a few databases, either/or MySQL or PostgreSQL.

Aside from the obvious (indexes, optimized query's, etc) any particular advice, from your experience so far, in handling the mentioned number of concurrent users?

----

Any info/opinions from own experience would help me speed up my decision making on the matter so I appreciate any answers. Thanks!

On 7/8/2022 at 4:13 PM, Petzy said:

I'll be going with Contabo most likely. VPS M I'm thinking - Windows or Linux. (so 6vCPU Cores, 16 GB RAM, 200 GB NVMe)

Would that be enough to handle, say, 100 concurrent users? What would the concurrent user limit be to that Contabo VPS M, in your experience, assuming good development practices and such?

I do not recommend using Contabo VPS for production, if you want stable resources is a good option dedicated server. Do not repeat my mistake.

It is good to know what the first letter VPS means :)

br, Marko.

6 hours ago, markokas said:

I do not recommend using Contabo VPS for production, if you want stable resources is a good option dedicated server. Do not repeat my mistake.

br, Marko.

Why do you not recommend Contabo for production? Aside from their slow support response times, their VPS has not gone done at all (touch wood) since I started using them 2 years ago.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, markokas said:

br, Marko.

thank you for your post but maybe detail a bit. Most people say it's fine for production. A lot of people use it, uniGUI and other software as well.

What exactly is the problem, if you'd care to explain?

42 minutes ago, Frederick said:

Why do you not recommend Contabo for production? Aside from their slow support response times, their VPS has not gone done at all (touch wood) since I started using them 2 years ago.

How many concurrent users in your project and how is that working so far with Contabo? Care to add any details to my question, since you use Contabo for production? It would help me

40 minutes ago, Petzy said:

How many concurrent users in your project and how is that working so far with Contabo? Care to add any details to my question, since you use Contabo for production? It would help me

My concurrent user count is about 10. The UniGUI application is not used frequently by users because it is just for downloading program patches. I am using VPS S and so far, I have not encountered downtime.

Contabo was recommended by some users here and based on my research, its plans represent value for money compared to practically every other VPS provider I have looked at. This is based on VPS specifications. When I started with them, they only had servers in Germany. Now, they have servers in USA, UK and Singapore.

My only concern is the long support response time. It can take Contabo 1 to 2 days to respond to a support email request. You can call them however, Since I have not had issues with the VPS so far, I am willing to live with this. Regardless of where your VPS is hosted, all support is still handled by their Germany office.

• Like 1

@PetzLet me share some things I know about the great uniGui eco systems:

Windows Server Core is a perfect platform but license cost is a big thing.

Linux Intel is possible but consider other packages, e.g FastMM4/4-VX/5.

Linux Arm is not available due to Embarcadero Delphi v11. 

Yes, you can do that way. But you need a development Linux to debug on-the-go (Centos/Ubuntu/Oracle..)

Yes, Linux Intel x64 is ready for HyperServer. Or you can use nginx, or cloudflare. 

FireDac can handle concurrent DB clients. But you can consider using caches other streaming stuffs like Kafka to break through any bottle-neck with heavy DB, or use NoSQL (Mongodb, Firebase, DynamoDB..).

Or you can add API-tier to work with heavy DB app: prefer Java Light-4j (rest/kafka..) or Spring-boot. Due to Indy limit, Delphi API restful server is not high performance.

The total cost of ownership x time = Delphi license + UniGUI license + other libs + less-code Man-power still << opensource + full-code Man-power.

You should buy UniGUi complete license right away and do all your projects fastest!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Frederick said:

My concurrent user count is about 10. The UniGUI application is not used frequently by users because it is just for downloading program patches. I am using VPS S and so far, I have not encountered downtime.

Contabo was recommended by some users here and based on my research, its plans represent value for money compared to practically every other VPS provider I have looked at. This is based on VPS specifications. When I started with them, they only had servers in Germany. Now, they have servers in USA, UK and Singapore.

My only concern is the long support response time. It can take Contabo 1 to 2 days to respond to a support email request. You can call them however, Since I have not had issues with the VPS so far, I am willing to live with this. Regardless of where your VPS is hosted, all support is still handled by their Germany office.

Thank you for sharing!

7 hours ago, TimKieu said:

@PetzLet me share some things I know about the great uniGui eco systems:

Windows Server Core is a perfect platform but license cost is a big thing.

Linux Intel is possible but consider other packages, e.g FastMM4/4-VX/5.

Linux Arm is not available due to Embarcadero Delphi v11. 

Yes, you can do that way. But you need a development Linux to debug on-the-go (Centos/Ubuntu/Oracle..)

Yes, Linux Intel x64 is ready for HyperServer. Or you can use nginx, or cloudflare. 

FireDac can handle concurrent DB clients. But you can consider using caches other streaming stuffs like Kafka to break through any bottle-neck with heavy DB, or use NoSQL (Mongodb, Firebase, DynamoDB..).

Or you can add API-tier to work with heavy DB app: prefer Java Light-4j (rest/kafka..) or Spring-boot. Due to Indy limit, Delphi API restful server is not high performance.

The total cost of ownership x time = Delphi license + UniGUI license + other libs + less-code Man-power still << opensource + full-code Man-power.

You should buy UniGUi complete license right away and do all your projects fastest!

Awesome share, thank you!

• Administrators
On 7/8/2022 at 5:13 PM, Petzy said:

** an answer to any of the question would help **

Hello,

It's been a few years now since I worked with uniGUI.

I have an offer for a long-term single project that I would get off the ground and then manage and I'm thinking to buy a uniGUI Complete license for it and do it in that.

To that end, since I haven't kept up with updates, I'd appreciate it if you guys can help me out with some answers to my question, so I can reach a decision faster:

Windows or Linux? Assuming that the Windows extra cost (license) isn't an issue for me, would you recommend I go with that or rather with Linux? What is your experience/recommendation and why? Does uniGUI still work best under Windows or has it caught up to Linux and there's no difference (other than Windows license cost)?

Hello,

Linux can be chosen if you've already ported your uniGUI to Linux OR you have started a uniGUI project for Linux.

If your app is natively based of Windows OR not ported yet you must use a Windows server.

Can I develop uniGUI on a Windows machine as a Standalone, after that - add Linux as the platform, set Release and compile it to that and then run that uniGUI on a Linux server? Assuming I'm gonna buy the Linux hosting and not the Windows one

Theoretically yes, but in practice your app may not compile directly without modifications. It highly depends on the components you have used in your app. For example ADO components are not compatible with Linux.

Can I use it if I choose a Linux server and not a Windows server? Any important differences?

The answer is same for above questions.

It is difficult to calculate the limits based on CPU core and available RAM, but for a typical application 100 sessions can be handled easily on a system with 16 GB of RAM. So answer is YES.

I'll be hooking uniGUI up to a few databases, either/or MySQL or PostgreSQL.

Aside from the obvious (indexes, optimized query's, etc) any particular advice, from your experience so far, in handling the mentioned number of concurrent users?

Well, my first advice will be  to use Connection Pooling.

----

Any info/opinions from own experience would help me speed up my decision making on the matter so I appreciate any answers. Thanks!

On 7/11/2022 at 1:00 AM, Petzy said:

thank you for your post but maybe detail a bit. Most people say it's fine for production. A lot of people use it, uniGUI and other software as well.

What exactly is the problem, if you'd care to explain?

Hi, sorry for late response

You can check my comment bottom when I was angry, but now is only bad memory on Contabo.

So in my case the Contabo used for our GPS tracking system, communication SW store data to MS SQL server, and  of course Unigui for end user, approximately 20 sessions (peak)

It is good to understand that VPS share resources between  users. So when  comes very demanding users for processor resurses, it means that somebody other get poor performance. So what Contabo show on their products are only theoretical resources, which probably you never get it (you get disk megabytes, do not forget read/write speed which is crucial). 

Maybe you have good experience, but you will get real picture when you put some constant load (processor, hdd, ram) for one month,  probably you will be very lucky if you do not get at least one Windows crash, and some not responded apps in logs.

Check this traumatic experience here:

Br, Marko