Save text with Emojis from UnimEdit to a database

likemike

Hello!

Does anyone knows a way how to save Emojis, which are entered in an UnimEdit to database and to display them later f.ex. in an UnimMemo?

When I use an UnimEdit, you can insert Emojis on Smartphones. When I save the UnimEdit.Text in a database field and load it back to a memo field there are ???? displayed instead of the emojis. I figuered out, that the Emojis are represented by 2 hex values each. When saving it to a database field the hex pairs are replaced to ?-signs.

Regards

Mike

• likemike changed the title to Save text with Emojis from UnimEdit to a database

Yes - but that's for the whole database. I don't want Unicode for the whole db. I only need Unicode to store the Emojis. And that's in a single field. In Firebird you can define the character set for each field seperately, but as I said - it doesn't work.

So this is more a FireDAC problem, than a problem with UniGui.

I've got the solution:

ALTER TABLE "T_Table" ALTER COLUMN TEXT_FIELD TYPE VARCHAR(8192) CHARACTER SET OCTETS COLLATE OCTETS

The “trick” is to use character set OCTETS. Because OCTETS is a special character set that blindly stores only what you poke into it—without transliteration—it is ideal for making the character codes neutral with respect to code page.

1 minute ago, likemike said:

The “trick” is to use character set OCTETS. Because OCTETS is a special character set that blindly stores only what you poke into it—without transliteration—it is ideal for making the character codes neutral with respect to code page.

Okay. Very good.