Does an extension of the UniGUi license makes sense at all?

likemike

Hello Farshad and Unigui crew!

I'm using UniGui only for mobile purpose. Since I've bought the license, there was only few development concerning the mobile components.

In a few months an extension of my license is necessary, but I have doubts that the development improves concerning mobile components. 

As x11 mentioned in this post 

there are a lot of bugs and meaningful improvements but only few (or none) of that points were done. 

So please, is there a realistic chance, that development of the mobile components will increase in the early future?

I'm sure, I'm not alone with this opinion...

Regards

Mike

• Upvote 1

I also haven't renewed my license due to lack of update roadmap (for almost a year) and just not responding to it, poor communication, and empty promise. Just don't know where you stand and where it's going.

• Upvote 1

Yep...I agree with that. A lot of focus on :
- HyperServer 
- Small featurs that are not on the roadmap but are apparently useful in a pinch,

Things like bug-fixes, responsive,- which are really important for web/multi-device are sadly left behind. Subjects that are on the roadmap for more than 2 years or longer you see and hear nothing of.  More as month ago the promise for update roadmap but now still silent. Same goes for source code and we remain dependent on 1 developer.

But anyway...apparently he doesn't think his customers are important enough and that's a shame. Reason for me to orientate and test with other framework and indirectly with other development language

• Upvote 1

Same here.

Been waiting for bugfixes month after month and year after year.

If see the interaction in forums of other platforms, it makes me really sad, here there is no communication at all, only promises that are never kept.

But I now have everything running on Unigui (8 commercial platforms with hundreds of users) and I'm getting very scared:

• No source code
  • 1 developer
  • No support

My whole business is running on this technology for the moment. If something happens to Farshad it's the end of my business too.

It's a risk i cannot take anymore seen that there is no real progress / source code, so I've also started to look at other frameworks to secure my business.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• Administrators
  • No source Code? Incorrect. Partial source code is provided.
  • One developer? Partially true. The core part is only developed by me for various reasons, but why this is a concern for you, is a mystery to me. BTW, is the number developers working on uniGUI is something that we have guaranteed as a part of our EULA? You can complain about various things, but number of developers is totally irrelevant. If you have a solid and stable uniGUI core, that is because only one person is working on the main core of the app. Increasing the number of developers neither means better code nor means faster development. Other developers such as Hayri and Sherzod provide me possible solution for bugs and POC (proof of concept) for new technologies, but regardless of the task the final integration in the framework is always done by me.
  • No support? 90% incorrect.

Well, that is not my whole response to all of the complains above. The complete response will come. Don't worry, I am not trying to be defensive here. I understand your concerns and I will try to address all of them.

For now, all I can say is that we will continue publishing incremental updates for uniGUI Equinox until the next equinox which is 21 March 2022. After that we will switch to the next release which was previously named as Quasar. We may use this name or adopt another name, but it is not an important detail.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Farshard

Glad to see a response from you. Whether something is true or not we leave in the middle. I, - as a customer of FMsoft have my own thoughts
about it and the points I worry about...I don't call that complaining (but expressing concerns). And it's not just me, it's several forum members
and several threads.

Last year we had the same communication on the forum. In response, you indicated that communication could be better and would be
improved....today, unfortunately, I (we) have seen little of it.

By communication I also mean the roadmap and where we are going with uniGui.
The roadmap is now a year old with a number of topics already more than two years in the planning. As I have indicated in previous comments,
would rather see a realistic roadmap that is updated on a regular basis. Surely this is something I can expect from any vendor.  

We make a roadmap for our own software that is updated every 3 months...that is not rocket science and takes minimal time.
Why do we do this...because my customers like to know where they stand and what they can expect in terms of functionality. After all, we are
dependent on customers. And customers appreciate it when you communicate and see things realized that are on the roadmap.

Our customers ask for features that have been on the roadmap for some time. Unfortunately I can't give my customers an answer because
I don't know whether or not it will be picked up and when within the roadmap. From a business point of view this looks unprofessional and
you have to think of work-arounds to achieve something.  

There are also signals regarding older bugs that are still not fixed (I have no experience with this myself...so don't shoot the messenger) but
you know the list best. Why not publish the list once so everyone can see which bugs are registered and what the status is. (just a suggestion😀)

As far as I'm concerned, you don't have to respond to every point and it's not about defending. Think it's important to realize WHY these
concerns are being expressed and how you can address the concerns. I hope the thread and thoughts are clear and something will be
done with them. Communication is also one of the magic words in this matter.

Regards Peter

• Upvote 1

I agree 100% with Peter.
We're your client. Like the Peter's client we buy the subscription based on the plan which you made in every year. It's a typical buyer seller situation. The Seller want to sell the service which will be include the functions based on the plan.
We as Buyer we bought a product / service. If we have any problem with the product (and we followed the procedure what the seller suggested) then the Seller has to fix it or the Seller has to find the other solution how can bypass the issue till fixing the main problem. The subscription/contract has to keep ongoing till every problems (which was submitted by the buyer) will be fixed. I thought the issue which has no alternative solution.

The other question.
For example I renew the subscription for the next year because the following year the uniGUI will be supports a function what I'm looking for a long time.
In this year you doing some releases. These releases aren't care for me because the bugfixes and the new functions weren't affect my project.
In this case I spent money for ...?

I don't want to complain but our client has not to much patient when we (developer) advertise a new function. They want to know the direction of develop, because they already paid (or they will pay) for the new functions.

Please don't forget that your money coming from our client.

Please think about that, what you're gonna do if you're at the other (our) side.

• Upvote 2

You Mr. Farshad and FMSoft guys are doing a wonderful job, uniGUI is fantastic, but I agree that's need to have communication improvements.

For me, the highest priority of a web application nowadays is a responsive layout, I've been waiting for it since I saw first time on roadmap which take me to buy uniGUI, now I need to renew but I'm waiting for a new and consistent roadmap to take my decision.

While waiting I made myself responsiveness approach inpired by RadCORE project (but is a Server Side handling) also I used a third party websocket solution while waiting for a native one, which was recently promissed for next build but wasn't there, just for example 🙂

• Upvote 2

On 2/21/2022 at 2:54 PM, Farshad Mohajeri said:
  • No source Code? Incorrect. Partial source code is provided.
  • One developer? Partially true. The core part is only developed by me for various reasons

I am a member since 01/31/2015 and have recently renewed the license.
I did it just to be able to compile with Delphi 11.
I know the initial developments of this excellent UNIGUI
In recent years there have been no major developments ... and now you understand why .. and my concerns were well-founded, outlined in several posts.
Today I am even more afraid than before .. knowing that only Farshad has the core sources.
I wish a long life to Farrshad .. on which we depend.

On 2/21/2022 at 2:54 PM, Farshad Mohajeri said:

21 March 2022. After that we will switch to the next release

In the latest roadmap .. you write that you would publish more sources.
I asked to include all sources in the most expensive version ..
and we will all be calmer.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi @Farshad Mohajeri

We are now 3 weeks on from your last response to this thread with a commitment to respond in short order.
 Maybe we both see 'short notice' differently...but with me it is certainly not 3 weeks but rather 3 days.
Especially when forum members also express themselves 'critically' about the progress of uniGui, roadmap,
roadmap versus realized, previously made commitments, improving communication, bug fixing etc. 

Apparently you don't see or experience the need we have on the above points. If you do, then at least it is either
not expressed or not communicated or noticeable actions taken so that we,- your customers, experience it too.... 

Anyway...we will wait patiently until more information becomes available...whenever that may be. In any case, a
new build is coming today as announced.

Note:
Just to be clear...my thread/comments are never personal but business like. They are addressed to Farshad
though because,- like all forum members, we have a business relationship where I I am a customer and Farshad is a suppli
er.

• Administrators
5 hours ago, mierlp said:

Hi @Farshad Mohajeri

We are now 3 weeks on from your last response to this thread with a commitment to respond in short order.
 Maybe we both see 'short notice' differently...but with me it is certainly not 3 weeks but rather 3 days.
Especially when forum members also express themselves 'critically' about the progress of uniGui, roadmap,
roadmap versus realized, previously made commitments, improving communication, bug fixing etc. 

Apparently you don't see or experience the need we have on the above points. If you do, then at least it is either
not expressed or not communicated or noticeable actions taken so that we,- your customers, experience it too.... 

Anyway...we will wait patiently until more information becomes available...whenever that may be. In any case, a
new build is coming today as announced.

Note:
Just to be clear...my thread/comments are never personal but business like. They are addressed to Farshad
though because,- like all forum members, we have a business relationship where I I am a customer and Farshad is a suppli
er.

Correct. Last 3 weeks I was busy fixing one single bug! Yes unbelievable, but that's the bitter fact of working with a JS library developed by another party.

Here is that bug:

I had to fix it before doing anything else because it was a show stopper with no workaround. So I had to do it. Maybe it can give you a better picture for issues we struggle internally. It is not an excuse just a fact which I wanted to share.

Good news is that I was able to nail the issue deep in JS code and I will publish a new build today. It will be the last build for uniGUI Equinox as I said before.

After that we will focus on near future and speed up the development.

I know that the current speed of releasing new features is not acceptable. Most probably because in the past we were so fast in doing it, so everyone expects the same level of development speed from us.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Hi @Farshad Mohajeri

Thanks for the explanation and clarification...it is appreciated. I just hope that there will now be short-term
clarity on, among other things, the topics c.q. issues that forum members are expressing concerns about in this thread.

Preferably a realisitic roadmap and taking into account things that have been on it for a very long time,
existing bugs and resolution times, mobile development, responsive etc...but I'll leave that to you.

Regards Peter

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everybody,

We are again 7 days further, sorry 8 days later and no reaction to the post of Peter.

I guess Farshad is focussing on websockets (with his crew, which is? nobody? I really start to believe that Unigui is Farshad, that's it (sorry I'm sick of it) ) now to please a few (new subscriptions?) of the flock following the magic Unigui and dreaming that websockets are the ultimate. Websockets please, let's focus on the core...

With not focussing on bug fixes that long time users need to provide solid solutions to there customers with hundreds of active users and the customers that are paying each time for upgrades (and yes, I agree that upgrades have been extended for free, but that is not an answer to my question and i don't give a f***. I need a software provider that provides solutions and updates fast and quick, not something that disappears in a bug tracking system that is not even visible to registered users. I am more than willing to pay for a solid solution, several thousands of euros each year, but 'solid').

I have businesses running with several hundreds of users using our systems each day, I need stability, partners i can trust.

Here below you can find first of all release notes of another Delphi solution providing web solutions released in the last month (1 month!)

We got as paying customer.... a fix to a mobile component in the last month. I don't even care about the mobile components. I tried and licensed them a few years back and it was a nightmare. So why does a regular user that pays his subscription each year have to wait 3 weeks to have a bug fixed for a mobile component that he does not even get?

We are still waiting for the most minor bug fix.... Hello, anybody out there?

image.thumb.png.54ade122309c558c2f92cadc130cc326.png

Still no roadmap, still no communication, I think you need a serious strategy change...

And yes, everybody can comment, but I have a business to run and first of all, even if i like Unigui a lot, i need to survive and provide solutions to my customers. Again, I am more than willing to pay for solutions, if Farshad would provide fast and quick updates an charge 2.000 euro's each year, i would be more than willing to pay for that.

Regards Dominique

• Upvote 2

Hi Dominique

I totally understand your feeling. Honestly, I find it verging on rude at the moment...and can't make anything else out of it.
Why...because there is absolutely no decent reaction to this thread. Maybe you find that hard...I don't...this is not
how you deal with each other in business. At least not here in the Netherlands/Belgium.
- totally no communication as you indicate 
- the last roadmap is from March 2021 (year old)
- are topics on the roadmap from 2018-2019 with zero progress and clarity on whether it is coming at all
- improvement is promised regarding communication...you notice the progress 😁
- little to no bug fixing...or it take to long 
- too much focus on new issues and no progress on existing issues...the core as you point out
- many work-arounds ...also for basic things....the forum is full of them

I am trying to understand but I really don't get it how Farshad deals with issues in this thread but also with
us as his customers...I personally find it disrespectful...and I am putting it mildly. I think if we deal with our
customers like this we will be done business quickly.

Farshad will have to put his priority on the above and not on new components/features/demos....but first make sure the base is stable.

You can indeed see that TMS but also other Delphi component suppliers are handling this a lot more carefully.
Listening to their customers but especially making sure bug fixes are available quickly.

If you can relate a little bit to what we as uniGUI customers experience and the issues pointed out in this thread,
you would just respond quickly to provide clarity. (that should be a priority and takes little effort).  That really doesn't
need to take 8 days or 2 months from the beginning of this thread (let's forget the other ones).
I can assume that Farshad doesn't want to be treated the same way as is currently happening to his customers...that is, us.

There are several forum members who have expressed their displeasure in this thread. 
It's not about the framework (we've known about that since the very beginning) but the laconic way everything is
handled...roadmap, bug fixes, communication etc. As a customer you are not taken seriously.

I too have a business to run with many users and on which our very existence depends. Encouraged when you
can't go on/know where it's going due to the lack of clarity...that's promising...also to the future. 

Oh well...we'll just wait another week for a response....

Regards Peter

• Upvote 1

• Administrators

Dear developers,

Action to this thread doesn't mean anything.

It is our action to your requests which makes sense.

As I told we have skipped to version 2.0.

New features are planned and will be published soon.

From now on we will publish short term roadmaps (Quarterly)

First one for Q2 is being prepared.

We are committed to this framework as we were before.

• Like 2

• Administrators

Here below you can find first of all release notes of another Delphi solution providing web solutions released in the last month (1 month!)

Sorry, but that "framework" is not another "Delphi web solution".  It is a client side JS framework. Not something that can be equivalent to uniGUI.

It is very new and it is normal to have big change logs. Look at our change logs when uniGUI was 3 years old.

• Like 1

• Administrators

And yes, everybody can comment, but I have a business to run and first of all, even if i like Unigui a lot, i need to survive and provide solutions to my customers.

Not sure why you always overreact to the situation. As if your business has come to complete stop as a result of no new roadmap.

It is not clear to me why.

Look at the Delphi roadmaps. Almost all of you upgrade to new versions, but show me a single new feature in Delphi 11 which is important for you!

• Administrators
15 hours ago, mierlp said:

are topics on the roadmap from 2018-2019 with zero progress and clarity on whether it is coming at all

Not all of the roadmap is going to be fulfilled. There is no such promise. Some of the items can be ignored or cancelled for various reasons.

Hello,

I wonder which bugs that you are waiting on? Please post about bugs and features which are you waiting for that are blocking your business.

Please make a list of those bugs which are blocking your projects so So we can give them the highest priority.

• Administrators
18 hours ago, d.bernaert said:

I really start to believe that Unigui is Farshad, that's it (sorry I'm sick of it)

D,

I have difficulty understanding your statement. All of the Delphi component vendors consist of crews of 1-3 person.

Boian Mitov is the man behind Mitov components. TMS Web Core is Wagner Landgraf. (Aside from support and marketing)

Seriously guys..what do you not understand in this whole thread. 

It is NOT about the individual issues like a list of bugs or TMS or whatever about Mitov. It's about what forum members here
feel about the progress of some issues or the lack thereof. Does a customer now have to submit his own bugs so
it will become a yes/no debate.... come on. You should not respond in this as a developer but as an account manager
to his customers....two totally different disciplines with totally different skills

Read the concerns that are expressed and do something with them. Look at it from our side .... we express our
concerns for a reason...concerns that you even showed understanding for in earlier answers, but unfortunately we see little of.

How hard can it be to include us as developers in the plans of uniGui. It doesn't take a year to do that. WE are after all your
customers
, from whom you also derive your right to exist. 

An up-to-date roadmap, accelerated bug fix, better communications (see threads from last year where you yourself,- Farshad,
indicate to improve this. Insight for everyone into existing bug fixes. Read between the lines about our concerns....listen to
your customers

• Administrators
7 minutes ago, mierlp said:

Seriously guys..what do you not understand in this whole thread. 

It is NOT about the individual issues like a list of bugs or TMS or whatever about Mitov. It's about what forum members here
feel about the progress of some issues or the lack thereof. Does a customer now have to submit his own bugs so
it will become a yes/no debate.... come on. You should not respond in this as a developer but as an account manager
to his customers....two totally different disciplines with totally different skills

Read the concerns that are expressed and do something with them. Look at it from our side .... we express our
concerns for a reason...concerns that you even showed understanding for in earlier answers, but unfortunately we see little of.

How hard can it be to include us as developers in the plans of uniGui. It doesn't take a year to do that. WE are after all your
customers
, from whom you also derive your right to exist. 

An up-to-date roadmap, accelerated bug fix, better communications (see threads from last year where you yourself,- Farshad,
indicate to improve this. Insight for everyone into existing bug fixes. Read between the lines about our concerns....listen to
your customers

Peter,

We really wonder about what you specifically need. What issues are really blocking your path?

Or are you speaking on behalf of uniGUI community?