Ext JS / extpascal questions

magosk

Hi! We are currently developing our web applications in Delphi 2010 / IntraWeb 10 and are not happy with all aspects of these tools. We are in the process of evaluating the newest IntraWeb release as well as looking at the consequences of moving to another platform for web development. I have looked at uniGUI in this context, and I must say it looks very promising indeed! I have a few questions, I will divide them into separate posts as to make searching by topic easier. First some questions regarding Ext JS:

1. That uniGUI's web frontend is built upon a widely used library is good from our point of view. If I understand correctly, another external library central to uniGUI is extpascal. If you follow the link from uniGUI's home page to extpascal, it looks like this project is not very active. Does this limit uniGUI's ability to be developed in the future with regards to new features in Ext JS? (If I understand correctly, the current version of uniGUI uses ExtJS 3.4, whereas the latest ExtJS release is version 4)

2. The following is not necessarily a requirement for us, but still interesting to know about: can external code written for Ext JS (e.g. new visual components not in the core library) easily be integrated into a uniGUI application? And the other way around: can (parts of) a uniGUI application be exported in some way for use with Ext JS more directly?

3. We still have some customers using IE 6 and 7, and the Ext JS page states that it has support for these browsers. I tested with your demos, and it appears that most of it works although a bit slower than with newer browsers. But I saw a few issues:

a. The splitter and trackbar controls does not appear to work in IE 6/7.

b. The canvas control does not appear to be supported in IE 6/7.

c. Menu items not properly shown in maximized window mode (IE7 only).

d. Some empty edit boxes cannot be entered (e.g. on the KeyEvents page in the Mega Demo) with IE 6/7.

e. Icon image transparency does not work in IE6.

Comments on this?

Regards

Magnus Oskarsson

• Administrators

1. That uniGUI's web frontend is built upon a widely used library is good from our point of view. If I understand correctly, another external library central to uniGUI is extpascal. If you follow the link from uniGUI's home page to extpascal, it looks like this project is not very active. Does this limit uniGUI's ability to be developed in the future with regards to new features in Ext JS? (If I understand correctly, the current version of uniGUI uses ExtJS 3.4, whereas the latest ExtJS release is version 4)

The ExtPascal version we use in uniGUI has been slightly modified and some of the bugs important for us are fixed. It does not limit us, as Extpascal has a flexible architecture which allow us to import components that doesn't exit in standard Extpascal pack.

2. The following is not necessarily a requirement for us, but still interesting to know about: can external code written for Ext JS (e.g. new visual components not in the core library) easily be integrated into a uniGUI application? And the other way around: can (parts of) a uniGUI application be exported in some way for use with Ext JS more directly?

Yes, we have created some new components like uniCanvas which doesn't exist in Ext JS. It is possible to create new components from scratch and use them in uniGUI.

OTOH, uniGUI allows client side scripting which enables to have direct control on client side behavior of Ext JS controls. For example see Google Maps demo.

3. We still have some customers using IE 6 and 7, and the Ext JS page states that it has support for these browsers. I tested with your demos, and it appears that most of it works although a bit slower than with newer browsers. But I saw a few issues:

a. The splitter and trackbar controls does not appear to work in IE 6/7.

b. The canvas control does not appear to be supported in IE 6/7.

c. Menu items not properly shown in maximized window mode (IE7 only).

d. Some empty edit boxes cannot be entered (e.g. on the KeyEvents page in the Mega Demo) with IE 6/7.

e. Icon image transparency does not work in IE6.

Comments on this?

IE6/7/8 doesn't support HTML 5 so canvas will not work.

We will try to support IE6+ but our main focus will be IE8+, FF, Chrome, Opera and Safari.

I believe that it's a futile effort to try to support and fix all issues and aspects related to IE6/7 which are really old browsers. JS engine of those browsers are really slow and not good for complex UI. Not to mention the severe memory leak issues in those browsers.