Security issue

imagina

I have a small demo application running as service. I can access it with a url like "http://172.26.0.0:8077".

But I can download or see any file contained in the folder where the application resides; if, by example,

in these folder I have theserver.exe file and other file called "hello.pdf", if I enter in a URL "http://172.26.0.0:8077/hello.pdf" I can download an see the file. It works like a FTP server. If I know the file name... I can download it.

However, in some situations, I want to share a file (report as a PDF); in these cases I put the file in the cache folder, that is secure, because the session id is long and eventual.

Please advice me how to avoid this behaviour.

Thanks

I think that if you want more control segurity, create unigui as ISAPI, and use ISS.

i don't kwnow if it's possible, but if you need unigui app as service and you don't want use ISS, perhaps you can create a windows user, start service with this user, and grant file permissions to this user only for the files/folders that you allow to access.

Setting permissions to user is not a solution, if there are files in the same folder is because are used by the same application. If I restrict a file then the same application server will not be able to access it. And I think (not tested) that with ISAPI there are the same behaviour.

The real problem is this:

h ttp://localhost:8077/../../../system.ini

I can access, If I know the name and where is located, any file...

DocJones, if you use ISAPI, put a .PDF file in the parent folder where your ISAPI application is running and then try to open with:

(your ip:port)/../file.pdf

I think that if you want more control segurity, create unigui as ISAPI, and use ISS.

i don't kwnow if it's possible, but if you need unigui app as service and you don't want use ISS, perhaps you can create a windows user, start service with this user, and grant file permissions to this user only for the files/folders that you allow to access.

And another undesirable effect; issuing a inexistant file, UniGui application reveals the complete path:

URL: h ttp://server:8077/fake.pdf

UniGui answers:

File D:\Delphi\UniGui\AppSvc1\fake.pdf not found.

Setting permissions to user is not a solution, if there are files in the same folder is because are used by the same application. If I restrict a file then the same application server will not be able to access it. And I think (not tested) that with ISAPI there are the same behaviour.

The real problem is this:

h ttp://localhost:8077/../../../system.ini

I can access, If I know the name and where is located, any file...

DocJones, if you use ISAPI, put a .PDF file in the parent folder where your ISAPI application is running and then try to open with:

(your ip:port)/../file.pdf

• 10 years later...
1 hour ago, bbm said:

Hi,

is there any solution for that problem. Currently we have a pen test with our application and it seems that we get a red flag beacause of this problem!

Best regards

Hello, do you see this topic, everything is written there, solutions are also indicated.