Alternative strategy to aproach to a cheap UniGUI Linux Web Server

Darth Florus

Hi Pals:

I'm propose a deployment alternative for those people, that don't want or can't spend much money for do a Web Application running on a Linux Server and using Delphi-Like data access technology.

My idea is to use the Delphi Community Edition/Professional Edition to develop/test/debug the application with UniGUI as always.

But to deploy to Linux, it have two options:

1) If You have/use the Delphi Enterprise/Arquitech edition, continue as allways.

2) If You only have/use the Community/Professional, the UniGui generates a runtime version of your application that runs/compile using the freepascal at cross compiling mode.

That way is not neccesary for UniGUI Pals to develop a Lazarus compatible screen designer, only they need to make code that compile with freepascal.

To do a debug in this mode will need debug procedures/functions that can write messages on the /var/log/messages file or wherever You want.

Obviusly is neccesary to use components that Delphi and FreePascal share or use compiler directives for it.

Wath do You think about?

• 3 weeks later...

the community license, allows you to earn a negligible amount per year with products created by him, which makes its use in commercial applications totally unfeasible, you will develop the entire application in delphi, and when it comes to distributing it will compile with using a free compiler , you can be sure that the embarcadero will find a way to screw up your life. see if this really won't hurt the community version usage contract

• 1 year later...
On 10/7/2021 at 11:18 PM, Darth Florus said:

Hi Pals:

I'm propose a deployment alternative for those people, that don't want or can't spend much money for do a Web Application running on a Linux Server and using Delphi-Like data access technology.

My idea is to use the Delphi Community Edition/Professional Edition to develop/test/debug the application with UniGUI as always.

But to deploy to Linux, it have two options:

1) If You have/use the Delphi Enterprise/Arquitech edition, continue as allways.

2) If You only have/use the Community/Professional, the UniGui generates a runtime version of your application that runs/compile using the freepascal at cross compiling mode.

That way is not neccesary for UniGUI Pals to develop a Lazarus compatible screen designer, only they need to make code that compile with freepascal.

To do a debug in this mode will need debug procedures/functions that can write messages on the /var/log/messages file or wherever You want.

Obviusly is neccesary to use components that Delphi and FreePascal share or use compiler directives for it.

Wath do You think about?

unigui not include all of source code, so you cannot compile it to fpc.

though you have pro desktop and complete (desktop+mobile) unigui license, you cannot compile it because some unit not include in source code, only .dcu

so you need .ppu with same fpc version and targetplatform

• 5 weeks later...

Contabo price is for, a CloudServer with 200Gb, 4GbRam for a Windows 20xx Server: 14 USD/30 day. Cheaper ... almost impossible. I´m not "ad"ing  their service. Ex user here with out complains.

When you can also try Amazon for a year for free. I just can see the point !
If you´re a linux hardcore user... what have you been doing with Delphi Rad studio before they implement this "horrible/too late" support to this OS ? Can't you see that  event them gave up the linux support ? Look for article in this matter in their own forum.

After VCL and FMX  and you just got 3rd party limited pack to linux UI with all the Linux flavor and distros issues that came up ?

Your´re really a brave man.

Answering your question.

To work on Linux as Server/Service, I allways use Firebird as DataBase and the others tools that come in Linux to do other things. That's include PHP + ExtJS at the begining.

For me and as my experience show me, the client/server win32 Delphi desktop application is all that I needed to please my customers. But now there is a growing need to use "remoting" aproach to them.

Using UniGUI is a natural way from Delphi win32 applications to web, but Windows as a server don't.

Actually I'm evaluating to do RESTFULL services with Lazarus to make it work on Linux and connect my Delphi win32 applications to it. This way I can do remoting connections over internet and even do some "bussiness rules management" on the server side.

But to serve web pages is still a gap that i'm evaluating now. UniGUI is very cool, but expensive if you add the enterprise Delphi license needed to make it work on Linux, there is a TMS Web Core that sound insteresting and don't need Delphi to work. https://www.tmssoftware.com/site/tmswebcore.asp

I allways will use Delphi where I can, but on server side was a disapoint to me until now.