How much to charge for UniGUI project

david_navigator

All my work with UniGUI so far has been for in house projects, but now a customer has asked me for a bespoke web app. He'll no doubt be getting prices from regular web developers too, so I want to make sure I price the job in a realistic way.

The app is a very simply library system - day to day there are a list of assets which an admin user records when a user borrows them and records when user returns them. So you borrow a laptop, I log that you borrowed it on Monday and then log when you return it on Wednesday. Data about the asset will be very basic - It's Name (Toshiba Laptop XX3) and it's Serial number.
There's no requirement to reserve assets in advance nor predict when assets will come back. The data (who borrowed what & when) will be written to a database (which can then be analysed by a different application).
To be honest it's something a Google Sheet could just about do and I would imagine is fairly easy in most web development languages, so how much to charge to be competitive ?

(If it makes any difference the customer is in the UK, as are we).

1 hour ago, david_navigator said:

(If it makes any difference the customer is in the UK, as are we).

Hello David,

This is an important question without a precise answer. And i thanks you to put it here to see ...

if you have a look to freelancers prices, they varying between 50€ an 100€ per hour, depending on freelancer experience, development langage and its geographic region.

To be honest, i never finished a project in hours !!!  

So, In case of bespoke web application, it is a good idea to calculate by periode working : day (d),   week (w)  and  month (m).

Note :

• a week = w = 5 Opened days - R1

a mounth = m = 20 Opened days = 4 weeks - R2

(R1 and R2 are Discounts : R1 could be one day discount, R2, one week discount). 

That means if a project will take :

• 3 days, then Total =3 x d

• 3 weeks, Total = 3 x w

• 3 mouths, Totat = 3 x m

So, you just have to fix your prices  : d, w and m

This is a simply way to estimate a bespoke project.

Important : as always, it is not obvious to give to the customer an exact periode, (and always i run out of time), it will be secure to extend the estimate periode by :  x 2

Regards.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...