Unigui Mobile (vs Desktop)

cyracks

Hello,

I have been playing a little with mobile edition of unigui and have a question what are the benefits over desktop edition. Beside everything being a little bigger and thus more tailored to mobile screens, I found that components are almost the same but with limitations compared with desktop edition. Beside that most crucial component ListView is missing, that is like being without grid in desktop edition.

So If I make components/fonts... bigger it would be better to use desktop over mobile edition even for mobile development or do I miss something ? 

Regards,
Tomaž

the mobile components are created specifically for use with fingers, for mobile, but you will have a hard time using dbedits controls on mobile.
I use it, however I chose to create the controls dynamically, using only edits without dataset binding, it takes a lot more work to implement, but the result is excellent, you can even create a list view, using scrollbox, and tunimedit controls normally..

Hi, 

the mobile edition is more suitable for touch  and phone size, But I learned the hard way that is is not Good if your language is RTL it has so many issues, or at least the last time I used it ,

now I use only the desktop edition and try to make it fit for mobile But it is not the same user experience, I have been waiting for 2 years now for a responsiveness and I hope it will be the solution for using only the desktop Edition.

if your language not RTL I defiantly recommend using it for mobile , it is double work in the GUI but it worth it.

regards

HI, @rencarnacion I have seen it but I cannot test it to be sure, and I agree with you, if uniGui cannot make a built-in responsiveness feature like this one as promised in 2019 roadmap , I think this will be an alternative solution, I can pay a reasonable fee extra for the license only if it is included as built-in and supported by uniGui.

Edit My Suggestion instead of the -useless form me -  Sencha Touch in the uniGUI Complete - Professional Edition make another edition with responsiveness 

Regards

So in 2021 and over 4 years we are still debating responsiveness!

Let me see: interface or layout responsiveness ? These are very different things, in case you don't know.

Why doesn't Facebook make a single app that is both desktop and mobile responsive? Why doesn't Google make a single YouTube app that is both desktop and mobile responsive? Why doesn't Twitter do the same while still being the father of Bootstrap?

Youtube has more than 15 different app versions using more than 5 languages and hundreds of sub-systems. Twitter, more than 10 app versions ! Facebook, has even its own browser ! Are they so dumb ? Just make responsive !

Each of these companies has their own framework under the hood and teams with hundreds of programmers for their products. And why haven't they made a solution that can be used on any browser and on any device?

A certain degree of layout responsiveness can be achieved with canned solutions and provided they serve a single purpose. But not a solution that completely solves the interface in any browser and on any device. That also limits what your project will do ! For Admin Panels, OK ! And the majority only does CRM/ERP panels. Just see examples like that !

Guest what ? There are hundreds of admin panels for free ! Just learn JS, HTML and CSS ! And you might have to do it to use uniGUI at its full potential.

The biggest problem I see is that most Delphi programmers do not keep up with the different possibilities, limits and advantages of using WEB programming. The same problem we had with Intraweb for more than a decade (former Intraweb programmer here !) and they even never had a solid JavaScript framework behind it and become that Intrawekinstein Monster that is today.

Nevertheless, use uniGUI or leave Delphi once and for all. For now, you cannot do with Intraweb, TMS WebCore  (or whatever name they call it now) for both mobile and desktop in the same time you accomplish in uniGUI. Mission Impossible. Need DB support, report, some VCL comps and has legacy code ? Good luck with that without uniGUI !

I see uniGUI future embracing REAL PWA , placing Ext.JS components as an alternative and open it for use in a more friendly for novice. Because you can use a lot of different frameworks today with uniGUI !

Cheers...

PS: Message to myself: Never on this subject again ! I give up !

Edited by Fred Montier
typos
  • Like 3

Hi @Fred Montier

I agree with what you said, but you seem to misunderstand the target I seek in responsiveness, first of all the Sencha Touch for me is totally useless because of RTL issues

so the only solution for me if I wanted to use UniGui is to use the Desktop edition, I am aware that it will never be a prefect solution But it is the only one I have as a single developer with minimum JS, HTML and CSS knowledge,

that's why I recommended for him to use the mobile version, we are not asking for much , a third party developer did what we want using only a Hint Property while the UniGui Teem cannot do it for many years, is it much to ask ??

maybe it is not good for you, but good enough for others

Regards

No... you didn't understand ! Have you read what I wrote ? I'm an avid uniGUI promoter and content provider. Its more than good for me !  And "hacking"  properties that will never be a solution to any project of mine ! Good look when converting a big Vcl project with that !

And you might call me and "old school" but that is not a solution for me at all. Hints properties are for hints and there are a lot of workarounds to the same problem. Like making a REAL COMPONENT Package to address the issue, or just a "stringholder" as exists for more than 20 years in RXLib and works the same way. You can "freaking" include in any uniGUI Form and have macro-substitution, templates, event triggers  etc !  Its just lazy ! Not for my countryman (the author , and I'm not trashing his work) but for those that don't make some basic research and read the documentation.  The more traders and 3rds developers, the better ! Kudos to him.

Jedi Pack do the same thing... and you can include easily with your project and do much more. But why complicate ? RXLib StrHolder do the job ! Of course, you need to make some codes adjustments, string manipulation but not a big thing.   The point is: every uniGUI programmer working like that will never learn how to use simple HTML alignment. That is basic to web development !

By the way, you have CustomAttribs that can be used that way just to show you a more or less recent implementation. So, don't trash the uniGUI team for this particular reason.

That is the problem here. You miss the uniGUI objective and where web development is going to , and a lot of Delphi old free alternatives !

Edited by Fred Montier
typos

And I agree with at the Sencha Issue.  You´re right !

And as I said, better uniGUI change the focus even despite the fact that Sencha is under IDERA umbrella, focus in PWA and open in a more easy way to embrace others frameworks. That 's is the path Intraweb is following after gave up ! And TMS WebCore will follow, of course, but not with out its FNC Godzilla.

Same problem you will have with TMS Webcore if you want to use FNC, the new kid on the block !

1 hour ago, Fred Montier said:

So in 2021 and over 4 years we are still debating responsiveness!

Let me see: interface or layout responsiveness ? These are very different things, in case you don't know.

Why doesn't Facebook make a single app that is both desktop and mobile responsive? Why doesn't Google make a single YouTube app that is both desktop and mobile responsive? Why doesn't Twitter do the same while still being the father of Bootstrap?

Youtube has more than 15 different app versions using more than 5 languages and hundreds of sub-systems. Twitter, more than 10 app versions ! Facebook, has even its own browser ! Are they so dumb ? Just make responsive !

Each of these companies has their own framework under the hood and teams with hundreds of programmers for their products. And why haven't they made a solution that can be used on any browser and on any device?

A certain degree of layout responsiveness can be achieved with canned solutions and provided they serve a single purpose. But not a solution that completely solves the interface in any browser and on any device. That also limits what your project will do ! For Admin Panels, OK ! And the majority only does CRM/ERP panels. Just see examples like that !

Guest what ? There are hundreds of admin panels for free ! Just learn JS, HTML and CSS ! And you might have to do it to use uniGUI at its full potential.

The biggest problem I see is that most Delphi programmers do not keep up with the different possibilities, limits and advantages of using WEB programming. The same problem we had with Intraweb for more than a decade (former Intraweb programmer here !) and they even never had a solid JavaScript framework behind it and become that Intrawekinstein Monster that is today.

Nevertheless, use uniGUI or leave Delphi once and for all. For now, you cannot do with Intraweb, TMS WebCore  (or whatever name they call it now) for both mobile and desktop in the same time you accomplish in uniGUI. Mission Impossible. Need DB support, report, some VCL comps and has legacy code ? Good luck with that without uniGUI !

I see uniGUI future embracing REAL PWA , placing Ext.JS components as an alternative and open it for use in a more friendly for novice. Because you can use a lot of different frameworks today with uniGUI !

Cheers...

PS: Message to myself: Never on this subject again ! I give up !

lol... and all you have in the desktop version you have in mobile ?
By "in", I meant all resources and features. And that annoying message that will pop-up once and a while to download their apps to you device... is just a fad.

Ok then.

PS: " I don't know why you say that Facebook and tweeter  are not responsive  ", I never said that ! I said that they have different solution to different problems EVEN using their own frameworks. Got it ? EVEN with hundred of programmer, different languages, frameworks, is not a "one fits all" solution !

Edited by Fred Montier
PS observation

the responsiveness feature, I think, that even existing in unigui, something similar was done by the Flaby - Radcore, and that the system has to be thought and designed totally to work on mobile and then adjust panel and menu positions to work too on the desktop. the big problem is to get an application already designed for the desktop and find that with a few clicks it will work on the cell phone, the starting point should always be the smallest device and then the largest one..

Unfortunately, my choice to use the HINT property as a "bridge" over the countless possibilities that RadCORE offers is still being discussed.

1) Who still uses HINT today to show a message to the user?
> Ok...You can continue using without problem with RadCORE.

2) And for MOBILE, do you need HINT?

3) I'm going to exemplify one of the RadCORE user projects, made in UNIGUI that uses third-party components (Phoenix) and some that he created himself (Combobox, Grids etc) and migrated to RadCORE reusing EVERYTHING...he didn't need to change any component.

Imagine if RadCORE were ANOTHER COMPONENT SUITE?

This user would literally have to replace EVERYTHING HE HAD ALREADY MADE to replace with new components!!!

The vast majority of users would have neither TIME nor COURAGE to do such a task.

Repeating here WHY RADCORE is what it is?

> I wanted to help as many users as possible to modernize their projects and thus raise the level of unigui, giving the possibility of using "responsive blocks" but in a SIMPLE way and reusing 100% of their projects already developed.

I'm proud to always repeat: Thanks to RadCORE many users (at least here in Brazil) bought original licenses from UNIGUI (that's not me doing it alone, it's the users' reports).

See the simplicity of using RadCORE in this video:

3 hours ago, mikromundo said:

Unfortunately, my choice to use the HINT property as a "bridge" over the countless possibilities that RadCORE offers is still being discussed.

1) Who still uses HINT today to show a message to the user?
> Ok...You can continue using without problem with RadCORE.

2) And for MOBILE, do you need HINT?

3) I'm going to exemplify one of the RadCORE user projects, made in UNIGUI that uses third-party components (Phoenix) and some that he created himself (Combobox, Grids etc) and migrated to RadCORE reusing EVERYTHING...he didn't need to change any component.

Imagine if RadCORE were ANOTHER COMPONENT SUITE?

This user would literally have to replace EVERYTHING HE HAD ALREADY MADE to replace with new components!!!

The vast majority of users would have neither TIME nor COURAGE to do such a task.

Repeating here WHY RADCORE is what it is?

> I wanted to help as many users as possible to modernize their projects and thus raise the level of unigui, giving the possibility of using "responsive blocks" but in a SIMPLE way and reusing 100% of their projects already developed.

I'm proud to always repeat: Thanks to RadCORE many users (at least here in Brazil) bought original licenses from UNIGUI (that's not me doing it alone, it's the users' reports).

See the simplicity of using RadCORE in this video:

Hi,

There were components that I wrote myself.  radcore matched perfectly.  It generally uses unigui infrastructure.  it doesn't cause any problems.

On 8/10/2021 at 4:35 PM, M.Ammar said:

Hi @Fred Montier

I agree with what you said, but you seem to misunderstand the target I seek in responsiveness, first of all the Sencha Touch for me is totally useless because of RTL issues

so the only solution for me if I wanted to use UniGui is to use the Desktop edition, I am aware that it will never be a prefect solution But it is the only one I have as a single developer with minimum JS, HTML and CSS knowledge,

that's why I recommended for him to use the mobile version, we are not asking for much , a third party developer did what we want using only a Hint Property while the UniGui Teem cannot do it for many years, is it much to ask ??

maybe it is not good for you, but good enough for others

Regards

RADCORE has no issue with RTL,  because every thing is ready for you to start your project, you will be able to use translation in the version 3.0.0.48 , you can edit some lines in CSS and every thing is ok. this is my project in RADCORE UniGUI:https://1drv.ms/u/s!AtMP1Wb4ARGBhGQkSLWHFJ-hY-CL?e=9dBm2w

• Like 1

On 8/10/2021 at 8:54 PM, wilton_rad said:

the responsiveness feature, I think, that even existing in unigui, something similar was done by the Flaby - Radcore, and that the system has to be thought and designed totally to work on mobile and then adjust panel and menu positions to work too on the desktop. the big problem is to get an application already designed for the desktop and find that with a few clicks it will work on the cell phone, the starting point should always be the smallest device and then the largest one..

I think that responcive solution is usefull in about 20% cases. In all other cases much better to use absolutely different approach to the mobile and desctop interfaces. I've delelopped more than 100 forms and almost all have absolutely different interfaces.

• Like 1

@Tokay 

I agree with you and there are several very advanced users here, I'm just a drop of water.

And just as we can all choose what to do, I chose to try to create something different that would be simple, easy and practical to use by literally everyone, current or old version users.

And I'm humble enough to stop my posts if at any point I've bothered a user in any way, if I've been impolite, arrogant, if I've offended the FM SOFT team or something like that.

@Farshad Mohajeri, @Sherzod, @Hayri ASLAN Please...if I did or am doing something wrong, you can tell me.

I have been committed from the beginning to the growth of UNIGUI.

Here's another video with some of the new features of the next version.

• 1 month later...