NavigateKeys???

dionel1969

Hello:

I just starting to test the use of NavigateKey in one form. So I set the value of Key 13 (Enter) for both options (Next and Prior with Shift) and it navigate throught editable fields good, but it does not navigate to Buttons. For me it is good as is, but I need then the DefaultAction Key (Ctrl + Enter use to be) and CancelAction Key (Esc use to be), to let final client use all the time keys and the use of mouse would be not necessary. Or to navigate to Buttons and in that case use buttons key events. Or I have to program it in the OnKeyDown event of form????

I program the OnKeyDown event of form (setting KeyPreview to True) and it works well. So if possible and could be aggregated the "AcceptKey" and "CancelKey" together with NavigateKeys would be good, in other case does not matter, it could be program every time.

BTW, having a Default Action key too is a good idea.

In the sub-world of input entries (dialogs) there are four principal actions:

1- Navigate To Next Field-Entry

2- Navigate To Previous Field-Entry

3- Accept the whole Input

4- Cancel process

Field could be any of controls like edit, checkboxes, radiobuttons, etc..., special case is memo or rich memos. The problem with ENTER in this case (I was reading before a post about it) is the following:

1- ENTER is used to add #13#10 or Hard Break Line that is used commonly in Windows Environment or < p / > in Web Environment.

2- SHIFT+ENTER is used to add #10 or Soft Break Line that is used commonly in UNIX-LIKE Environment or < b r / > in WEB Environment.

So, when you have a Memo in the Form (Dialog) what I saw is the use of Shift+Enter for changing editing lines to let the ENTER alone for changing fields. It is not a standard, but I saw it in many applications.

NavigateKey is a work in progress. I'm still working to improve it. We will discuss all its aspects after it is finished.

I'm not sure if Buttons can be focused. I'll investigate.

I think it must be discussed before it is finished to let you implement what people will use or at least the major percent of people.

In the sub-world of input entries (dialogs) there are four principal actions:

1- Navigate To Next Field-Entry

2- Navigate To Previous Field-Entry

3- Accept the whole Input

4- Cancel process

Field could be any of controls like edit, checkboxes, radiobuttons, etc..., special case is memo or rich memos. The problem with ENTER in this case (I was reading before a post about it) is the following:

1- ENTER is used to add #13#10 or Hard Break Line that is used commonly in Windows Environment or < p / > in Web Environment.

2- SHIFT+ENTER is used to add #10 or Soft Break Line that is used commonly in UNIX-LIKE Environment or < b r / > in WEB Environment.

So, when you have a Memo in the Form (Dialog) what I saw is the use of Shift+Enter for changing editing lines to let the ENTER alone for changing fields. It is not a standard, but I saw it in many applications.

good point Dionel,

I myself at last make a conclusion like this:

1. Enter -> Next Field

2. Shift-Tab -> Prev Field (default NavKey)

3. Shift-Enter -> New Line in Memo

for point 2 above, I let it like the default NavKey, since it is rarely used.

The common people use is 'Enter' for next field, and 'Shift-Enter' in Memo to make a new Line.

CMIIW...

NavigateKey is a work in progress. I'm still working to improve it. We will discuss all its aspects after it is finished.

I'm not sure if Buttons can be focused. I'll investigate.

I don't know how Delphi's buttons are translated to ExtJS, but if the class is: Ext.ButtonView then there are a method:

focus( [boolean selectText], [boolean/Number delay] ) : Ext.Component

to: Try to focus this component. ...

http://docs.sencha.com/ext-js/3-4/#!/api/Ext.Button

PS: There is not a notification about the version where it is applicable. So I think it is applicable for 3rd version.

• 1 year later...