Delphi Professional with Linux

Abaksoft

Dear Friends,

I am in a corner to take a decision. To get unigui on linux i have to upgrade my Delphi Pro to Enterprise. This mean, 1000 $ / year (suscription)  !

Mmm... too expensive.

Did someone hear about Delphi Pro with linux (futur EMB Roadmap) ?

Thx

For me (Delphi->Linux) is too little too late ! 10 years ago, that would make sense. Any Kylix fans alive and kicking ?

We are already moving away from those OS (windows and linux). And why should I lost all the VCL options, my precious "messy legacy" code,  when deploying to Linux ? Cloudserver price per OS makes no sense today as it would make a big dent 10 years ago when that should be a good reason (and the only one).

And good luck "printing"  !

PS: I know about FastReport and Linux. But got a lot of projects with QR and RB and no need to waste time since no new project demands Linux-is OS from the start. So why bother and waste my old vcl code ? Again... too little to late. 

PS2: You run Delphi in Windows. You need to master a Linux flavor before try that. A lot of Delphi programmer are too busy mastering uniGUI, HTML, CSS , JS,  Web deployment and add that task to the list for no practical reason.

But that is just me and the simple fact that I'm more than 40 years old ! Way more !

• Like 3

• Administrators
On 10/14/2020 at 11:37 AM, Abaksoft said:

Dear Friends,

I am in a corner to take a decision. To get unigui on linux i have to upgrade my Delphi Pro to Enterprise. This mean, 1000 $ / year (suscription)  !

Mmm... too expensive.

Thx

From what I know there are no plans to include Linux in Pro. It may change in future though.

the linux option came, but you can count on the fingers of a whale the current users of unigui who are going to use this feature. if the justification and the cost of licensing windows, it doesn't make any sense to use linux, having a higher delphi license to use linux already discourages anyone.
it would only make sense if it were possible to use lazarus, then we would be free from delphi and its pricing policy

• Upvote 1

On 10/14/2020 at 11:37 AM, Abaksoft said:

Dear Friends,

Mmm... too expensive.

Thx

I want to remind you that exists another way: Lazarus+FPC. It's a very good choise for Linux or Linux+Windows code. It's absolutely free, have a good compatibility with Delphi VCL code even under Linux. It's stable enough and IDE (Lazarus) works directly under Linux. We have hundreds of servers, and they works stable, 365/24. I hope that Farshad could translate his great UniGUI lib to the Lazarus platform too.

3 hours ago, Tokay said:

I want to remind you that exists another way: Lazarus+FPC. It's a very good choise for Linux or Linux+Windows code. It's absolutely free, have a good compatibility with Delphi VCL code even under Linux. It's stable enough and IDE (Lazarus) works directly under Linux. We have hundreds of servers, and they works stable, 365/24. I hope that Farshad could translate his great UniGUI lib to the Lazarus platform too.

a BIG +1

15 hours ago, wilton_rad said:

the linux option came, but you can count on the fingers of a whale the current users of unigui who are going to use this feature. if the justification and the cost of licensing windows, it doesn't make any sense to use linux, having a higher delphi license to use linux already discourages anyone.
it would only make sense if it were possible to use lazarus, then we would be free from delphi and its pricing policy

The simple truth !
I would say that this is really some hipster fetishism approach to linux programming. Linux is done ... I mean, like "long done". Windows will have the same fate in near future. Even MS knows that. Edge is showing the shape of thing to come. They simple gave up on mobile, then browsers now.

uniGUI for Lazarus and PWA format. (Chanting: "And the little red book")

Millennial won't get the joke !

• 1 year later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 10/21/2020 at 1:52 AM, Fred Montier said:

Any Kylix fans alive and kicking ?

I'm old Kylix programmer.

And good luck "printing"  !

Luckily printing to PDF solve much Linux printing problems if compared to Kylix epoch.

Today Luckily We have much aproachs to generate PDF reports!

Best Regards