Why Firebird Instead Of PostgreSQL?

Frederick

I started with Firebird early on but put it aside when I encountered sparse documentation issues and a steep learning curve. I then moved over to PostgreSQL and have been happy with it since.

Recently, I am looking at Firebird again because of the possibility of using an embedded server, small footprint and running and using the database from a USB drive.

In the forums here, I get an impression that fellow users are more inclined to use Firebird instead of PostgreSQL although the latter appears to be more popular, has more features and is used by some of the larger companies.

I am curious. Why do you use Firebird?

1 hour ago, Frederick said:

I am curious. Why do you use Firebird?

simple, easy use, easy install, can work stable small confgure hardware, all platform support.

When Its name is interbase & sooo log years ago, I forget date. My customer db curropted. I couldn't find why. maybe hdd sector broken and so I can not access to some data. Not all data, some data. If I'm not wrong, os in win95 or w98, and work on lan. not separeted server computer :) one client machine was firebird server and file server, and sametime it was client computer :)  my friend still use that program in virtualbox :D

For find problem, I did test. Test is, simple post & commit routine, but in endless loop. test is, while in this loop, break program and check db. I did test in IDE, ctrl + F2 cut program, then terminate application from os console, terminate delphi IDE while runing in IDE, no any problem on db, no any indexed field proglem. For fun, while running application in IDE, shutDown electricity :Dmaybe you will not believe I did this maybe 3-4 times db has no any error no any deadlock or any error. I did this all test same db, not changed.

And from date time I'm never see like this error. Yes some time find error in db but all them design problem. and when backup & restore db, everything is fine again.

I get more then 3.5gig db firebird 1.5, and it has nearly 7-8 shops, and dual way repliacation has. some time get transaction get problem, and from console I can fix it in a minute. one time, center shop's server broken, then change one client to server :) copied db any other shop, reconfigure ini files & system continue to work in a less then 10 minutes.

So, any one can say every think, My expreinces much more them :)

Its your choise.

Thank you for telling me your great experience with Firebird.

I am revisiting Firebird because of portability requirements but I still prefer PostgreSQL because it has better SQL and database features and the database administrator is top notch.

Hopefully, Firebird 4.0 will be a big improvement over 3.0 as Firebird updates are released much slower.

22 hours ago, Frederick said:

Thank you for telling me your great experience with Firebird.

I am revisiting Firebird because of portability requirements but I still prefer PostgreSQL because it has better SQL and database features and the database administrator is top notch.

Hopefully, Firebird 4.0 will be a big improvement over 3.0 as Firebird updates are released much slower.

Hi Frederick,

a simple google search : FireBird vs PostGesql  will give you the answer.