Deploying to IIS 7

Jim Gallagher

Hello,

I have a Unigui application I'm trying to deploy to a Windows Server 2008 VPS, running IIS 7. If I deploy the standalone executable and the supporting files to "c:\inetpub\wwroot\MyApp\MyAPP.exe" everything works fine. If I comment out the first line of the working program and create a DLL, and install MyAPP.DLL in the same directory all I get is "connecting...".

I followed, and double checked, the instructions for deploying to IIS 7. If I right-click on the MyAPP folder, the IIS_IUSRS(ComputerName\IIS_IUSRS) user (though I'm not sure where that user comes from) has been given "Full control" to the folder and contents.

IIS seems to be working OK, because if I enter my URL without qualification I get the default IIS 7 banner page.

If I enter www.mysite.com/MyAPP (and every similar combination I can think of) I get the "connecting" message, and nothing is in the MyAPP\log directory.

I have a pool called MyAPPPool and an application called MyAPP under the Default Web Site, created according to instructions, AFAIK.

I have hardcoded the ext directory to c:\inetpub\wwwroot\MyAPP\ext-3.3.0\, ServerRoot is blank. UniGui: 0.85.0 build 870 Delphi XE.

I've never used IIS before, so I'm sure I'm doing something boneheaded, but I'm not sure what. Any suggestions?

-Jim

Hi Jim

> If I enter www.mysite.com/MyAPP (and every similar combination I can think of) I get the "connecting" message, and nothing is in the MyAPP\log directory.

I am also new to IIS but try www.mysite.com/MyApp/MyApp.dll

Regards,

Zlatko

I assume that since the standalone version can find the ext directory, the ISAPI version should too. I guess I need to research permissions in Windows IIS, since it appears to me that the permissions are there. I may just try switching to Apache, since I've already spent too much time on this, and I read that deployment is simpler with Apache. Thanks for your insights, though.

None of this of course is a criticism of uniGui. This is obviously user error, and uniGui rocks!

I think that is because it can't find the ext-3.3.0 folder or arent able to open the files for permission reasons.

Just as a follow up, I spent some time researching this, and discovered the IIS 7.5 has quite a different way of managing permissions and pools. The configuration is quite different from IIS 7.0, which is described in uniGUI documentation. I followed the advice I found on the web and everything looked correct to me, but it still did not work. I still think I'm probably doing something simple wrong, but if anyone has the steps for configuring for 7.5, I'd be grateful if you could post those here.

In the meantime I have moved to Apache, where I am making some progress.

Thanks, all.

• Administrators

Just as a follow up, I spent some time researching this, and discovered the IIS 7.5 has quite a different way of managing permissions and pools. The configuration is quite different from IIS 7.0, which is described in uniGUI documentation. I followed the advice I found on the web and everything looked correct to me, but it still did not work. I still think I'm probably doing something simple wrong, but if anyone has the steps for configuring for 7.5, I'd be grateful if you could post those here.

If you provide me access to your VPS I will log and look into issue.

If you provide me access to your VPS I will log and look into issue.

That's a very generous offer, thanks. If you are able to find the time I would be very grateful. My VPS at the moment is just a playground for experimenting, so I don't have any problem with giving you access. How can I get the credentials to you in a secure way? I couldn't find your email address listed.