Migration to SQL Server

Reshu_Agrawal

Hi All,

I am working on Embarcardero C++ builder 2010. I have converted all the paradox tables and queries to ADO Table and Queries. Earlier my application was taking lesser time (15 - 20 seconds) to run the different functionalities in the application but now it is taking lot of time (2 mins - 5 mins)to run, especially in Table->Open. Please let me know how to overcome this performance hit issue.

Thanks,

Reshu

You are using MSSQL as Paradox. Remove tables and queries from your project, use ADODataset or better kbMemTable+ADODataDriver from EhLib components. Avoid direct using of SQL queries in applications, instead write all data handling logic on server in stored procedures, correctly apply indexes to tables, optimize you SQL queries, use profiler and check query execution plans.

If you don't understand what I'm talking about, you'd better read some books on DB administration and development first.

A long time ago I converted my dbase tables to MSSQL Server tables and in the first times I started to use it like Local tables. A very big mistake from all sides. When you use Paradox, dBase, etc... you are developing for local, not for client/server paradigm, although you can put local databases and use it from Server processes. So, first you have to convert your tables, good, but you have to change your mind and start it look from user interface, from a distance, and start to use from queries, it est, using TQuery and/or TStoredProc component instead of using TTables components. It does not matter what technology do you use: BDE, ADO, dbExpress, etc... It is much better to query tables and to catch in every case just the fields you will need, just the record you will need. In case of records you can use "paginations" for better performance. There are some techniques to optimize queries and some tools to do that, but the very best is: "take from server what user will be use in the appropiate moment".

• Administrators

Hi All,

I am working on Embarcardero C++ builder 2010. I have converted all the paradox tables and queries to ADO Table and Queries. Earlier my application was taking lesser time (15 - 20 seconds) to run the different functionalities in the application but now it is taking lot of time (2 mins - 5 mins)to run, especially in Table->Open. Please let me know how to overcome this performance hit issue.

Thanks,

Reshu

ADOTable offers very poor performance. It tries to simulate Table cursor based operation which doesn't fit well within SQL paradigm.You need to re-design your app and replace all Tables with Queries.