uniGUI Quasar - Linux Support ?? WHY

erich.wanker

Hello,

short stupid questions:

• does it mean - that i can create a similar thing like unigui.dll just for linux?
  • is the result a Shared Objects (*.so) files what i can upload to an linux-webhoster-standard-server?
  • Must i switch to Lazarus? ..actual i use Delphi XE4
  • in delphi - i user a reportdesigner to produce PDF files - what soultuion can i use in the future?
  • is the performance higher on a linux system (running a shared object <-> running a dll on windows) ?
  • if Quasar is ready to use - is the basic avantage the "cheaper webhosting" ? - or are there other avantages?

ThanX for infos

Erich

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Erich, thats a lot of good questions...

One thing I can say is that Linux server are cheapers than windows servers, but I don't know if apache is faster than IIS. I made some tests comparing IIS vs Apache in a windows machine and IIS was always faster. In Linux I don't know how fast is Apache comparing to a IIS on Windows.

I seems to me so far the only advantage is the cheaper webhosting.

Does anyone have something else to share about this?

• does it mean - that i can create a similar thing like unigui.dll just for linux?
  • is the result a Shared Objects (*.so) files what i can upload to an linux-webhoster-standard-server?

Usually it is a standalone linux console application, which can be configured to run as a Linux daemon.

Not sure if it can be installed as Apache .so library. Never tried it myself as first approach is just easier under Linux.

• Must i switch to Lazarus? ..actual i use Delphi XE4

No. Delphi only. Versions which have Linux support.

• in delphi - i user a reportdesigner to produce PDF files - what soultuion can i use in the future?

The one which can compile for linux.

• is the performance higher on a linux system (running a shared object <-> running a dll on windows) ?

System perfomance is about the same, but linux compiler for delphi is currently less effective. 

So your code will generally be slower on Linux.

• if Quasar is ready to use - is the basic avantage the "cheaper webhosting" ? - or are there other avantages?

Linux considered as more stable hosting platform.

And sometimes you just can't choose the OS as you like.