Support for PDF

dkeene

Hello, All

I seem to understand how these  controls can be used to make a web based database application. Is there any support for printing to PDF? For example, a user fills in data aware components, then wants a printout, but more formally, we want to generate a PDF to represent the finished form...

Thanks

doug

Hello,

6 hours ago, dkeene said:

I seem to understand how these  controls can be used to make a web based database application. Is there any support for printing to PDF? For example, a user fills in data aware components, then wants a printout, but more formally, we want to generate a PDF to represent the finished form...

Can you please specify which edition and build of UniGUI are you using?

Maybe you are looking for something like this example:

\FMSoft\Framework\uniGUI\Demos\Desktop\Report Builder

Thanks, I have not yet purchased, and i am trying to make a decision between uniGui and webcore. uniGui seems easier to set  up for a database web app, but i need to make sure user can print out a form to pdf in the end...

Doug

Hi Doug,

I know both technologies.

It is possible in both, but Unique has the advantage that you can use a regular Delphi report generator and export it to pdf and present it to the user.

Internally we use 2 tools to generate pdf documents: Fastreport and FlexCell from Tms.

We use Flexcell because it allows us to export all possible data to Excel and generate pdf documents using Excel as templates (end-users can modify the templates).

If you need sample code how to do this using one of the 2 tools mentioned above, let me know.

In web core it is not so simple, because everything is client based, here you would need to call a reporting service on the server to generate the report and send it to the client, more difficult but also possible.

Dominique

• Like 1

Dominique:

Thank you very much for the info! I use delphi extensively for many things, and in fact use many TMS based components. I am not familiar with fastreport and flexcell, but will investigate.

I thought that the only components available on uniGUI applications were those on the uniGUI pallet? For example I have access to Gnostice PDF and TMS PDF, but could I access these in a uniGUI application? For example, in uniGUI could I manually draw each uniGUI DBEdit on the PDF Canvas?

I would love to see your code examples if possible. I did see that UniGUI has a PDF Viewer, but I would need to be able to create a PDF version of the form that the user is editing in case he/she wants to print it out.

Thank you very much!

Doug

Thank you all; fastreport seems nice, but it's another product to purchase. Is there any way of achieving what i am asking using the components that i already have? I am happy to draw on a canvas and make a PDF file, but can I do this in an uniGUI application?

Thanks

Doug

Hi Doug,

If you are able to generate a pdf in a regular VCL application, you can use the same code in a Unique application.

When the pdf is generated you just display it in the pdf control.

You can generate a pdf in a temporary directory in the server. This is for example the code to generate a pdf from an Excel file and display it in an URLFrame. It's the same code to show it in a PDFFrame. As you can see Unigui has functions to get a temporary filename in a cache dat will be cleaned up automatically.

pdf := TFlexCelPdfExport.Create;

try

Pdf.Workbook := TXlsFile.Create;

pdf.Workbook.Open(ExcelFileName);

pdf.Export(UniServerModule.NewCacheFileUrl(False, 'pdf', '', '', AUrl, True));

finally

pdf.Free;

end;

URLFrame.URL := AUrl;

Dominique

Reporting is essential in development, I don't think that there a single project without reporting, so you might think of a professional and fast way to to it, reporting components: Fastreport, Quickreport....give you the power to do that (also when it comes to multilangual reports) you can't do it with drawing shapes and text it will be difficult.

• 10 months later...