Contabo Opinions

Frederick

I currently use a VPS running Windows Server 2012 R2 that is suppose to use SSD for their storage. However, I find that the speed of starting an application via a RDC to be slow. It is in fact, even slower than my computer with non-SSD drives.

It could be that it has 2 GB of RAM and half of it is in use but it still has 22 GB of disk space remaining and swapping to and reading from a SSD disk should still be faster than my computer.

I see that Contabo is mentioned here as a reliable hosting provider.

If you are using it, how do you find Contabo's customer service, reliability and speed for hosting your UniGUI applications or have you moved on to something better? I am looking at their Contabo VPS S SSD service with the Windows Server 2016 DataCenter option.

--
Frederick

VPS mean shared resources with other users.

We use contabo services for years and recently we purchased a dedicated server with 500 GB SSD and 4 TB secondary H.D we also purchased a RAID hardawre to backup primary SSD at real time in case of failure. We backup our customer data (DB & files) to FTP from contabo and we also backup data to Amazaon s3 account using CloudBerry application.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mhmda said:

VPS mean shared resources with other users.

We use contabo services for years and recently we purchased a dedicated server with 500 GB SSD and 4 TB secondary H.D we also purchased a RAID hardawre to backup primary SSD at real time in case of failure. We backup our customer data (DB & files) to FTP from contabo and we also backup data to Amazaon s3 account using CloudBerry application.

These are quite impressive specifications and I hope to be able to have them in the future but for now, with zero UniGUI production applications (and I am still stuck deploying my first test UniGUI application), it will be hard sell to convince finance to approve a budget for your hardware setup.

May I assume that you do not use Contabo's VPS services but are satisfied with their customer service and other products?

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Mohammed Nasman said:

@Frederick,

I have used many windows VPS with similar price range as Contabo, but to be honest, I cancelled all of them, and will use only Contabo, they have one of the best price/value plans for windows.

I have subscribed to their VPS service two weeks ago and so far, there are no issues with their services and product. The speed is comparable, maybe even slightly faster than my existing VPS even though they are halfway around the world.

As you mentioned, their price/value plans are exceptional.

• 4 months later...

ContaboVPS speed very slow because their servers has only 2.2ghz per core and slow SSD 4k read/write speed. I use PostgreSQL and highload application which write transctions to DB - so Contabo server with 16gb memory 6 core 2.2ghz and SSD (~20euro/month with Windows) is about 5 times slower than dedicated hetzner server 16gb, 8 core 3.5ghz, HDD (~32euro/month without windows).

But if you don't need hi writing speed - Contabo is the cheapest and best choise from servers with Windows license.

• Upvote 1

I've been using Contabo vps for the past 4 months (4core 8GB,200GB). It's certainly the cheapest and performance has so far been fine - though not a heavy load. It's worth mentioning - they appear to do any required maintenance during normal (GMT) service hours - which has so far resulted in 2, 1 hour periods of inaccessibility - they do have multiple clusters of VPS  which are serviced at different times though - and if you have more than one you can request to have them housed on separate and machines and/or in two different data centres - so you can ensure constant accessibility if you share data and apps across them. All support questions have been answered promptly.  Note They don't provide any additional firewall in front of your machine as many other providers do.

• 8 months later...
  • 9 months later...
3 hours ago, markokas said:

For production environment Contabo VPS really not recommended.  Do not repeat my mistake.

Br, mk.

What issues do you have with Contabo? I have a single application hosted in a production environment with them and so far, the only issues I have currently is the slowness in delivering pages and long customer service response times.

The first issue could be due to latency problems since they are situated in Germany and I am in the Asia Pacific.

I had problem with them with one of my clients, he's in Germany, but the VPS became very slow after few months of using, when I contact the support they didnt give any solutions, I had to cancel that VPS because it was really very slow, while CPU & ram usage are low for the client.

But I have another 2 VPS with them, and they seems ok so far,

8 hours ago, Frederick said:

What issues do you have with Contabo? I have a single application hosted in a production environment with them and so far, the only issues I have currently is the slowness in delivering pages and long customer service response times.

The first issue could be due to latency problems since they are situated in Germany and I am in the Asia Pacific.

I found the same, of course latency problems expected, but more significant part is slow Contabo server response.

So. As you know VPS systems "sharing" resources between users in dynamic way. So  the configuration you made on Contabo is just your wish, actually maybe you do not get even 30 % of selected resources.  But that is not the biggest problem even 30 % could be enough if this resources will be stable. But there are situation when you get  0% or almost nothing because someone else used instead of you. I do not have  detailed knowledge about their VPS but I expected that there is at minimum availability - but obviously not.

And in practice is like that. We have Unigui app for GPS tracking for end users. In background is  MS SQL database and service apps which collected data from tracking units. The most important issue is availability, so it must work 24 hours per day without interruptions.

We used Contabo several years on more VPS instances. And approximation is like this for one VPS is like this:

• one Windows crash per (once per 2 month). In error logs nothing, similar if you unplug PC from power source like , it could be called "black hole"
  • low resources (1 or 2 per week, it could be several hours - according my logs). One record normally written in  database 30  milliseconds, tooks more 10 times more or even 2 seconds. if you check resources HDD, processor, RAM everything is "fine", but nothing works it could be called "bad weather"
  • recurses not at all  (once per 3 months) it means the Windows UI freezing, apps are not responding, RD losing connection. There is almost no activity. It could be called "storm"

Technical support - well actually is almost unusable (I have around 150 emails), sometimes the answers are interesting very comic.  About my complaints they changed parameters for my server many times, but never solved the problem. 1 month ago there was a storm. It means that freeze everything every few minutes Windows  GUI refresh that's all. Of course I sent request to support around 8 AM, first response was about 11 AM (they told me that is not wise to send more request because you lose priority order :)). And system worked normally around 5 PM (probably because some demanding user stop working). So around 10 hours the system not worked at all. it means that around 50 of my clients not get service. Well next day was similar. After that my decision was clear. Now production server works in our office and we know what are our resources :)

In general I can say only Contabo VPS, for testing yes, it is cheap, but for production "no go". if you go with production maybe "dedicated" could be usable - but I am skeptic.

Best regards,

Marko

• Like 1

I haven't had any downtime issues with the VPS since I have used it for 2 years but the production application I run on it is not used often. I did read somewhere that a VPS is not really suitable for production use with a  high number of users because of its shared nature.

In any case, thanks for the heads-up. I will monitor it when my other application which I expect to be used by more users at the same time goes live in a few months.

With so many VPS vendors available, it would be easy enough to switch or I could go with a dedicated server solution.

• 1 year later...

It's 1 week that our VPS on Contabo is  disconnected from internet, 
and via VNC (RDC no more working) the desktop show a warning to Activate Windows (!)
The Start button and any other command seems frozen and unresponsive, exactly as the Contabo tech support;  many emails, but no answers, nor forecast...
No more Contabo in my plans...

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...