Printing directly to printer...

dionel1969

Hello everybody !!!

I want to know, or I want to listen as many ideas as possible about "printing directly to printer from web clients". We have an ActiveX (OCX) to use it from IE, but we know that in FF (FireFox) it is not possible to use. We did not check in Chrome, Safari and Opera. Until we know the CSS has nothing about it. We do not know if HTML5 and / or built something comes CSS3 and to handle different types of font (size, weight, etc...) in direct printing.

We have a POS and the part that prints the details are printed with another letter to highlight the amounts. Exist something in FF (add-on) for this situation. How to manage it from Safari, from Opera, etc...

May be in the case of thermal printer it works, but we want to know about dot matrix printer case.

Thank you for your attention.

It sounds like you want to print to predefined locations? not to the printers of 'anyold ad hoc' connection ?

If that is the case then each session can have its printers accessible from the server. When a session logs in either its ip address or user entered credentials will allow you to know which printers that session should access. The server can then control all the printing directly - either through windows shares (if you must!) or use LPR to printservers - that's how we do it, you get pretty much instant output to any of 200 or so printers (Dot matrix / Laser / POS thermal) anywhere around the country ( or maybe the world !)

If you are looking to directly access printers from unknown client connections though I would say that is not possible without Active X/AddOn type technology.....

Sorry for the delay...

It sounds like you want to print to predefined locations? not to the printers of 'anyold ad hoc' connection ?

No, I just want to print to POS Printer line by line, but some lines will be with normal printer font (Roman, Draft, but Regular), and some line will be with highlighted font (like an Epson: Esc + XXX)

If that is the case then each session can have its printers accessible from the server. When a session logs in either its ip address or user entered credentials will allow you to know which printers that session should access. The server can then control all the printing directly - either through windows shares (if you must!) or use LPR to printservers - that's how we do it, you get pretty much instant output to any of 200 or so printers (Dot matrix / Laser / POS thermal) anywhere around the country ( or maybe the world !)

If you are looking to directly access printers from unknown client connections though I would say that is not possible without Active X/AddOn type technology.....

Always, at least now, will be use the printer attached to computer where WEB POS (Point Of Sale) will be running. So it is not necesary to know the IP address, or whatever, just Print to LPT Port (or it simulation for USB Printer), but with the possibility to change FONT in the printer to highlight detail text with price and quantity.

I say it again. In thermal printers the quality of printing is alway good while you have a good paper in use, but in the case of dot matrix printer the quality is not so good and at the same time depends on tape's use.

Hi

"So it is not necesary to know the IP address, or whatever, just Print to LPT Port (or it simulation for USB Printer),"

That's the point you can't do that from a browser without user intervention (or the use of an activeX/addon ) - it is seen as a security violation

The EscP control set (e.g http://www.uktsupport.co.uk/epson/impact/esccode.htm) is used on these type of printers. We compose a 'file' with the required characters in it and send it to the required port - we know the destination we want to send it to before - that is printing is not part of the web (or any other visual) interface at all.

Best regards