Survey: Features you want to see in version 1.0

Farshad Mohajeri

Congratulations for your awesome work Farshad.

My suggestion : Only Web Mode (forget about VCL Mode, I suppose it's a lot of work for you, and we better build 2 different apps for web and desktop, taking advantage of every platform).

I agree with this one. For me, the better of UNIGUI is the possibility of use all my skills in Delphi for making web applications. I think the real multiplataform is on web browsers. Sometimes ago it was different, at least for now there is a general consensus and applications are the same or very similar in most popular browsers. For windows application I have components like DevExpress that works very well and have many features. So, I think for you and your company will be better to focus on Web Mode, also it was better, as ExtPascal can be compiled in FreePascal and there are the same Delphi's components in Lazarus, at least the basics, to research in this environment and give the possibility to create the same applications in LINUX to decrease costs of final application by giving final client purchase product without buying Windows licenses. In countries like where I live, people do not have the same purchasing power like in Europe and the U.S., so when more you can lower the price of the final product, then more buyers will you have.

You would need some other way to design the forms if you skip the VCL mapping. Intraweb has TIWAppform, which I don't know how they implement, but at a glance it kind of looks like you put components on a datamodule. Some reporting applications use external designers.

My point here is that maybe it would be just as much work constructing a designer for a pure web uniGUI, compared to reusing VCL.

But yes, in principle I agree. The VCL interface is not really that useful in general. I would probably prefer to build a multitiered solution and tie a real VCL interface to it for Windows apps and create a pure web interface for web users. One place where I think the VCL interface is a bit handy is when it comes to prototyping and testing stuff, but then in the end you actually still need to test in a browser to make sure everything works.

You would need some other way to design the forms if you skip the VCL mapping. Intraweb has TIWAppform, which I don't know how they implement, but at a glance it kind of looks like you put components on a datamodule. Some reporting applications use external designers.

My point here is that maybe it would be just as much work constructing a designer for a pure web uniGUI, compared to reusing VCL.

But yes, in principle I agree. The VCL interface is not really that useful in general. I would probably prefer to build a multitiered solution and tie a real VCL interface to it for Windows apps and create a pure web interface for web users. One place where I think the VCL interface is a bit handy is when it comes to prototyping and testing stuff, but then in the end you actually still need to test in a browser to make sure everything works.

ANJA. My point is this: keep the classic design of Delphi, but in reality the objective is the web platform. Because I see some posts that refer "for web works fine, but not for windows". Then there is that I see the problem. If in the agreement document is reflected that the main objective is the web platform, then Farshad can avoid the windows platform. It is my opinion, I don't know what Farshad think about and the rest of FMSoft. I know that is a double work to do app for windows and for web, but I think: If my app will be use in one machine running windows, I use traditional components. If my app will be use in more than one machine that could run Windows or other OS, then I will develop for the web, and that's better for everything. That is is very simplistic view point, but web orientation will give FMSoft a great market and for us too.

And I agree with you in the multitiers solutions (3 at least). So for windows will a pure windows components, also, as I said here before, there are better components for windows design with a lot of skins and many features.

PS: The analysis and design of app is more complex, but... is just for illustrating.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Farshad

I've just plugged in the latest version, and as usual its sterling work!

I was wondering if it would be possible/practical/viable to implement a component for server push, kind of like this http://www.html5rocks.com/en/tutorials/eventsource/basics/

It would be great to be able to stream updates to connected clients in certain circumstances.

Keep up the great work :)

• 2 weeks later...

unidbgrid would include functionalities:

1,multi-row column titles(like Ehlib style);

2,can preview and print at browser;

3,can export multi-format files(as execl,pdf,rtf);

4,if possible,make unidbgrid like web report tool.

unigui is good webapp famework.I wish it go further and more successful!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Farshad

Thanks for your work and this survey !!!

I/We all are waiting for commercial version. So you can have a money return.

About Features for rel 1.0, i think most important are:

- Improve DBGrid (checkbox, image, sort, filter...) all what you can. Dbgrid is VERY important in web applications

Next, after 1.0 and as soon as possible

- JQuery integration

- ExtJs 4.0

- Numeric Edit (with Decimals position, Thousand separator)

- RichEdit control

everything as previous posts

Thank again

Gianni

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It would be great if some of the following features could be added to UniGUI framework:

• The possibility to assign an image from a TUniImageList to a TUniBitBtn
  • Multiple columns in combobox and listbox
  • The posibility to assign checkbox, radiobutton, hints and links to treeview, listbox and combobox items
  • The posibility to assign images to combobox and listbox items
  • A TUniTIP class to allow more sophisticated tips (with rich content, close button if needed, mouse tracking if needed, loched anchor, etc., as you can see in ExtJS QuickTips example)
  • A component like "Side Navigation Bar": A collection of panels arranged in one column (left or right) or one row (top or bottom) on which you could expand and collapse one of this collection of panels (maybe auto collapsing the panels showing only one expanded panel).
  • The posibility to use a treeview or a listbox as a parameters editor (associating or specifying type of node: combo, edit, spin, radio, check, etc.)

Regards,

The product is already a good product.

For now I think you should focus on really important things:

- roadmap;

- bug fixing;

- performance and stability;

- security;

And after that you can do other things like improve DBGrid.

Don't do another report solution. Microsoft Sql Reporting Services is a wonderful tool, FastReport is a wonderful tool and reportbuilder too.

Bruno

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Farshad,

At this stage, I think you should start a PRE-RELEASE SALE system with (lets say) %50 discounted regular price.

I think you dont need to wait for this (before exJs 4.x etc.). Because your product is good enough. Lots of people ready to use UniGui for commercial app.

DO NOT HESITATE too much. Or wait for excelent documentation.. All this stuf will be ready when real Version 1.0..

But you need to see future now.

1. You will see actual number of interested Customer.

2. Customer will see that you are how much serious in this bussines. Customer loyalty will be increase.

3. You will earn some money (Incentive) and speed up your development process.

Thanks

Tuğrul

Good words and we see the same. A payment for your hard work is ok.

We also use your great product in production and all is fine.

Thanks

Gerhard

Hi Farshad,

At this stage, I think you should start a PRE-RELEASE SALE system with (lets say) %50 discounted regular price.

I think you dont need to wait for this (before exJs 4.x etc.). Because your product is good enough. Lots of people read to use UniGui for commercial app.

DO NOT HESITATE too much. Or wait for excelent documentation.. All this stuf will be ready when real Version 1.0..

But you need to see future now.

1. You will see actual number of interested Customer.

2. Customer will see that you are how much serious in this bussines. Customer loyalty will be increase.

3. You will earn some money (Incentive) and speed up your development process.

Thanks

Tuğrul

• 2 weeks later...