Migrating full existing applications (+ hello message)

brace

Hello to all, this is my first post on this new forum.

Some months ago I tried unigui (0,82 probably) and was impressed by the ease of use.

I immediately fell in love with the project, by the way I also wrote some emails to Farshad.

I am very happy to see a very active Delphi related forum. The reason of this is clear: Delphi developers do need a simple and powerful tool for writing web applications.

This post is a kind of "Hello everybody", but not only, I'd like also to explicitly ask if anyone is planing/is doing a full migration from a complex legacy client server application to unigui.

Do you have experience on this? May you share it?

Finally my opinion on dual GUI: in my opinion it is totally useless to have a VCL gui, as stated in many other places in the forum. It could make sense only in a super-rad scenario, when one needs to create desktop and web app in 3 clicks. I don't know how much realistic this is. It could make sense if theDelphi wordl was full of wonderful frameowrks for writing web apps, so this is the addaed plus of unigui, but... Where are those frameworks? So I would go web only. May be VCL is kept just because at design time is more convenient?

• Administrators

Hello,

Welcome to uniGUI forums.

My comment on "dual" GUI:

While for some developers the VCL extensions seems to be unnecessary for others it is an invaluable plus. The fact is that whether you use it or not it provides an elegant design time experience. Without it you'd see a gray box instead of a DBGrid at design time.

• Upvote 1

While for some developers the VCL extensions seems to be unnecessary for others it is an invaluable plus. The fact is that whether you use it or not it provides an elegant design time experience. Without it you'd see a gray box instead of a DBGrid at design time.

Yes sure, but my point is: until maintaining the VCL copy costs almost 0 it may be reasonable, but if the efforts for keeping it updated and working start to drain away resources from the web application part I would reconsider the approach.

Moreover to have a very nice "VCL" experience one "must" use 3rd party components, and uniGUI is "doing this for the webpart" with Sencha components, while it relies on standard VCL for the win32 part.

Anyway until it is an "intranet home made project" the dual UI makes sense, I would never give to one customer the dual GUI because he will say "but this is not a web application it is a kind of trick you used to create a web application out of a standard app". Customers often think like that and have no background for understanding that this is not true.

Anyway my 2 cents, of course I am only 1 of the potential unigui customers.

A very very very very very very interesting feature for unigui would be after the support of sencha touch is done (and I hope this is in less than 1 year) that somehow UniGui does what Phonegap does, so building native webapps. That would be a real cool unigui -> allowing Delphi develoeprs to create native apps for mobile devices without a line of objective C or javascript (and using cool IDE)

Just not to lose the main question:

Is anyone migrating from client/server to web app an existing large application using UniGui?

If yes, may you write some comments? Illustrating difficulties and easy things?