Unigui team, should provide a good printing solution

bettersoft

I think, unigui development team should provide a printed good solutions. Use the educed PDF files, execl, HTML, etc way to print, very unprofessional. Use fastreport developed into ocx machrep, the way I to print in the client couldn't achieve such a function, the last time I also told you about this problem. I have studied for a long time, and has never had a good solution. Hope unigui development team can seriously consider the problem. Although print and unigui irrelevant, but a based on Delphi products, if cannot really to solve print issue, I think unigui also won't have too much and development. Why should I give up, because the use intraweb intraweb, must learn javascript, CSS, HTML, etc, but Delphi programmer programming, could not really familiar with the language. I hope only need Delphi and unigui to solve all the problems web development. We have a lot of developers, all the problems in print, has been beset without a good solution.:angry::unsure:

What's the problem with FastReport? It took me 3 days to:

1) Learn FastReport from scratch

2) Create report templates

3) Write ISAPI dll to get ready reports as PDF using Delphi's WebBroker application

I can get reports in any format FastReport supports, and now just running my reporting isapi dll alognside with my UniGui applications on the same server with zero problems. When I need to show user some PDF report in browser, I just create an UniLabel with http link like

<a href="http://somehost/reportserv/?report=sometemplate.fr3&param1=1&param2=2" target=_new>Print</a>

That is how real FastReport Server works (which is ISAPI dll too), but it is not free, so I just read it docs and made my own one working the same way.

I don't think Uni team should spent their time on reporting problems, since there are many report services available already or you can always write your own service.

I don't agree. You can use third party printing solutions like fastreport and quickreport. There is no reason to provide such functionality in Unigui.

I posted a demo project for using quickreport with Unigui here.

http://forums.unigui.com/index.php?/topic/1039-quickreport/page__view__findpost__p__3104

Solve the problem of printing with the PDF, this is too easy. But the feeling is not enough to do the printing profession. I hope to make OCX is printed, you can encapsulate the fastreport with ocx. If you print directly generate PDF documents, the client must be installed on PDF software. But also the page control, paper definitions.

Export pdf with QuickRep way to print, with fastreport as simple as that is generated PDF file to print.

OCX way to print a demo it? thanks

My unigui model is Service Application.:rolleyes:

Can you describe in more detail what you want to do? Can you provide an example? What do you mean by OCX?

My demo project generates a PDF file which is displayed in an iframe on the website. It assumes that the user has a PDF reader that can embed itself into the webpage, like adobe reader, which is free.

If you don't like to use PDF, you could export to HTML directly instead. The code for that is the same as in my example, but you need to use the HTML exporter instead of the PDF one, obviously.

• Administrators

bettersoft,

First of all it is not clear to me what you mean by printing. A printing layer can perform many tasks from simple to complex. Printing task can be as simple as sending a single line of text or printing complex shapes and objects. Each application may expect different functionality from the printing layer so it is hard to achieve an abstract printing function which can satisfy all printing needs. That's why we have various reporting tools for this.

Even if we decide to implement such a functionality, I'm not sure what should be included in it. Are you going to print Forms, Tables, Grids, Datasets, Shapes or what?

Anders Andersen ,Farshad Mohajeri user_popup.png

Very thank you for helping me!

Farshad, you misunderstood, the difference between Chinese and western culture. I'm worship you.

Can help me see? A ocx print case. I am using delphi7 and machrep made a simple ocx to invoke the ocx unigui, through to print. I tested under the server could, with the client can't. I need to implement the client printing. thank you 。

due to the BBS space is limited, no way to send the file, my documents have 600k. Can you give me the mailbox.

I don't agree with you. FastReports is the best report solution for Delphi. We don't need another.

I'm not saying need unigui provide print tools, but fastreport oriented good solutions. I don't like to use PDF, HTML, excel, and other ways to print, I need a perfect printing solution. For example, I give telecom departments do project, a charge to print thousands of every window, and the typing position charge bill to very precise. PDF can realize? Excel can realize? Don't need to invoke the each print, print preview window as PDF then print? Isn't that very mentally handicapped?

I don't think I have much to contribute here.

If I understand you correctly, the key feature you are looking for is that you want to be able to do mass-printing client side of content that is generated server side, without presenting the content to the user first, like with a pdf preview.

How to achieve print directly, don't need preview window? Can realize PDF's print directly? How to OCX print unable to realize, PDF printing must preview? That we have had to use to develop uniGui web application? If unigui even the most basic function VCL can realize, that have the meaning of existence?

How to achieve print directly, don't need preview window? Can realize PDF's print directly? How to OCX print unable to realize, PDF printing must preview? That we have had to use to develop uniGui web application? If unigui even the most basic function VCL can realize, that have the meaning of existence?

If unigui positioning is only personal application, non-commercial application development, then I see these functions are really doesn't matter. We also need not to discuss the problem.

I am sorry. It sounds like you think this is a simple thing. I am pretty sure it is very difficult to do. Keep in mind this Unigui supports all browsers. Not only Internet Explorer, but also Firefox, Safari, Chrome, and more.

Do OCX work on Firefox, Safari and Chrome? I think if a printing solution is added, it must support all browsers. This is probably very difficult.

Researching a little bit of javascript (I am NOT familiar with javascript), it seems the most browsers support a window.print() method which most browsers implement for the main window and each frame in that window.

So here is an idea.

Create the output as HTML and put it in an invisible URLFrame so the client can see it. Then call window.print() on that frame with javascript. I have no idea if this will work.

I am sorry. It sounds like you think this is a simple thing. I am pretty sure it is very difficult to do. Keep in mind this Unigui supports all browsers. Not only Internet Explorer, but also Firefox, Safari, Chrome, and more.

Do OCX work on Firefox, Safari and Chrome? I think if a printing solution is added, it must support all browsers. This is probably very difficult.

Researching a little bit of javascript (I am NOT familiar with javascript), it seems the most browsers support a window.print() method which most browsers implement for the main window and each frame in that window.

So here is an idea.

Create the output as HTML and put it in an invisible URLFrame so the client can see it. Then call window.print() on that frame with javascript. I have no idea if this will work.

Hello, Anders Andersen:

I am not very familiar with javascript. If I'm familiar with javascript, I think I will use better web application development tools. Is because of the familiarity delphi, why they want to do with Unigui web application development. I use unigui reason is I just need to know delphi, to be developed excellent web application platform.

Personally, I think, in fact, a commercial web printing software is very important.

thank you.

Hi Bettersoft

i work in a printing company and i understand va value of printing solutions. And that why i use FastReports. And for the same reason i prefer the experts of printing work on that and Fashard do javascript + delphi + ExtJs integration as delphi web expert.

if you need a ocx for UniGUI i think some of us (uniGui users) can work a solution.

create a OCX in delphi is easy, also using indy or RTC SDK you can make a ocx client that accept fp3 files( documents generated with fastreport) and preview or printing it using fastReport preview component.

Also, even for people that know javascript, Delphi + uniGui can be a great tool.

regards,

Hello, Anders Andersen:

I am not very familiar with javascript. If I'm familiar with javascript, I think I will use better web application development tools. Is because of the familiarity delphi, why they want to do with Unigui web application development. I use unigui reason is I just need to know delphi, to be developed excellent web application platform.

Personally, I think, in fact, a commercial web printing software is very important.

thank you.

• Administrators

To resolve this issue I will create an OCX container component for uniGUI which will load an ActiveX control inside browser. Of course, this will only work with IE.

It will be up to developers to implement the particular OCX control for required printing function or any other function they need.

Logged #1026