UniGUI support, feedback in general and the future?

GerhardV

@wprins

I feel the same way. Yes uniGUI is a great product but what happens if FMSoft for some reason is not able to support current or release new versions anymore.

That risk is currently too high for me so I am also considering alternatives.

On ‎4‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 9:51 PM, Farshad Mohajeri said:

I will add my comment later when I have enough time to fully address all of your concerns mentioned here in this thread.

I'm using UniGui and I'm scared.

The father released code with using UniGui the more "So if…"

I'm sorry - I'm very sorry about this approach but what If something wrong happened with Mr. Farshad.

On 9/14/2018 at 5:33 PM, jaromir said:

I'm using UniGui and I'm scared.

Even though I agree that a plan B is always called for, I have never been scared due to the
apparent lack of such in this case.

I have never lost a second of sleep over this issue - but maybe I should have.
So far it would not have amounted to anything, though, and would only have been a waste of time.

Surely, life does not come with a promise of being risk free.
But past events predict future behavior, and risk is often related to idiosyncratic issues.
Based on this I have the utmost confidence in Mr. Farshads ability to stay in the loop.

Guys,

Have a little faith in Farshad. We are working very hard to finish a complete product (as bug-free as possible, scalable, documented, with a good installer). Farshad has already a few surprises to announce and the migration to Sencha Ext JS 6.5.3 and HyperServer are finished. He will address all your concerns very soon and I hope that many of you will be happy. Just wait a little longer.

On 4/6/2018 at 9:51 PM, Farshad Mohajeri said:

I read the whole thread.  I appreciate your feedback!

I will add my comment later when I have enough time to fully address all of your concerns mentioned here in this thread. All I can say for know is that I'm aware of many of your concerns and already working to improve the product, customer relation, support and etc. As I told I'll add my full comment here later.

Thanks

Hi Farshad,

please allow me to be brutal en remind you about your "promise" :) I am very interested in your comments and also in the road-map for unigui. 
Thanks!
Pedja

19 minutes ago, schweppes said:

i have full faith in Farshad, so please wait, UniGui is so amazing and the support is totally awesome

Trust in Farshad, and everything will be just fine :)

that's not what i am talking about...i know that UniGui is very good product and support is good....BUT i can't ask my customers to have trust in mr. Farshad. 

We are also a small company and very often get questions like "what if you drive your car against the tree"....we covered this "car problem" with escrow deal.

I want the hear from Frashad his thoughts about "car problems" and possible solutions

Do you think that Farshad developed unigui only to get rich and thus close his code?
No, i dont think so.
In the last 10 years, it is clear from his work that he is a great personality, a virtuous and very honest man.
I do not know him personally, but review the history of the vicissitudes experienced on this forum you will understand.

No, it's someone who has his head on his shoulders and knows where he is going. he will never be able to leave you.
he certainly has a plan B for the durability of this remarkable product.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Abaksoft said:

Do you think that Farshad developed unigui only to get rich and thus close his code?
No, i dont think so.
In the last 10 years, it is clear from his work that he is a great personality, a virtuous and very honest man.
I do not know him personally, but review the history of the vicissitudes experienced on this forum you will understand.

No, it's someone who has his head on his shoulders and knows where he is going. he will never be able to leave you.
he certainly has a plan B for the durability of this remarkable product.

Well said brother Abaksoft, you took the words right out of my mouth

Farshad is a very honest man, and he will never let us down :)

• Upvote 1

About Support Issues:

I'm for a long time use UniGui ver 1.0.0.1413. Is a good release, stable, strong like a rock, very usefull. I was stuck in this version because a big development and growing of my web app has begun and we have not time to do some kind of beta tester job for every new release to know if still work.

In this time Farshad support was very well, excelent, every problem was solved diligently. Every widget work as spected.

Now the bulk of the development has finished, and is the time to upgrade UniGui to reach last support and new features.

For my surprise, some of the widget I more use (like the TUniDBLookupComboBox as Delphi VCL Mode), stop working as spected, some others have drawbacks to use them, and so on.

Mi point is. Many versions have passed and much bug fixing job has maded. Wath is the reason that old bugs have appeared again? The implementation of new ExtJs version? Is mandatory to upgrade ExtJs version if they implies a lot of bugs to reborn on a currently and actually used web apps on our customers?.

As I say up here, Farshad support never disappointed me, I hope much or all of widget problems can be solved quickly because I don't want to assig time to do workarrounds to all my code or in the worst of the cases, downgrade to the 1.0.0.1413, until the actual version turn stable again.

I'm deposite my faith to the team of Mr. Farshad. Go On!

On 4/6/2018 at 12:20 PM, Ruslan said:

I don't understand those who presents TMS Web as competitor of UniGUI - I'm sure that TMS will not have stable version in next 2 years and I'm sure that it is more likely DevExpress will develope something for web than TMS finished own components. What I see on TMS site - it is stillbirths components with bugs and very slow. And what difference beatween these components and Intraweb? Why you don't use Intraweb if you like "Hellow word" video of TMS components? I also disagree fundamentally that first of all you should add functionality instead sales. It is not possible to develope faster than TMS and Embarcadero and there is no any sence to spend time on add additional funcional when you already have working product. You need to promote and sale product this year why you have not competitors and after year you will have money to compete with TMS and other instead sit on the chair and develop functions which need 1 from 1000 companies. All good products without sales died or became opensource and died after a while.

UniGUI need Linux and Load balancing to have more scalability - and I don't understand why Farshad change priority and next will do responsive design - this is pampering and almost all bussines applications haven't responsive design, nobody work from smartphone, a few peoples work using tablets. Responsive design we need for site, e-shop, forums, but not for bussines application and I think that no sence wasting time now for that. Linux - this is a substantial saving of money on servers. Load balancing - scalability to 1000 simultaniously users, for big enterprise. Responsive design... toys for housewives? 

Mr.,

About Responsive Design:

I'm develop for assurance companies, they have customers that want to know his account situation, covers of this insurance policy, reports sinisters, and so on. Here in Paraguay are growing the use of smartphones and tablets very high.

They need to access his information from a mobile device as equal from a normal PC and sometimes do some register of data from them.

I agree that high corportative applications don't need mobile, but massification of data is moving data from corporative servers to mobile devices.

For this type of applications is possible to enable a special project type on UniGui (maybe called Responsible Application) to develop this type of app and maintain the normal UniGui Application as is currently.

Linux is mandatory for mi. Is a shame to use virtualization to implement web services.

4 hours ago, Pedja said:

Thank you for your time and efforts, but my question was directed to Farshad and i would like to hear from him more about this subject.

Sure, we all understand that.

I waited about 3-4 years running a small app with Unigui, before I took the chance to migrate a bigger app.

But during the years since 2012 I have had only great experiences with Mr. Farshad, and I realize what kind
of personality he is. Introvert, hard working, disciplined, organized, systematic, goal-oriented etc etc.

Time and again I am taking myself in being highly impressed by the work he has been able to keep up, 
over these years. I realize this is unusual and that he has done something that no other company with
tons of resources has be able to do: taking a very complex technological issue and making it simple.

People are different. Some make a mess no matter what they do, while others make it work consistently.

I am 100% sure about one thing: Mr. Farshad is not taking this issue lightly. He is not going to
take any chances after all this work, as that would totally contradict all previous efforts.

The reason some things might take a while to get addressed, is probably due to his diligence,
wanting to cover all aspects involved and deliver a great solution. That is what I believe.

Surely, in theory anything might happen, and life comes with no guarantees. Just have to live with that.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

• 2 weeks later...

I do not understand why you made a panic if you use Delphi which was already dead and passed from hand to hand for 10 years while was bought by Embarcadero :) Each year we have new relises of Delphi which contain houndreds bugs. It announces development for any platform but still nobody in their right mind develope mobile application using Delphi (it is use outdated Android and IOS SDK). Delphi is a risk in itself. Every year it is becoming more and more difficult to find a Delphi developer. 15 years ago Delphi was a basic programming environment in my university, but today junior programmers know about Delphi only from "old school" people. So if you select Delphi you should enjoy its benefits here and now and don't think about what will be there in 10 years. It's hard to return to first positions when your competitors Microsoft and Oracle. So if you plan to create "longterm" application your should not use Delphi and what will be with UniGUI throw 5 years - that's the last thing you should thinking about. Your want Enterprise support from components which Farshad developed for environment (Delphi) which each year less and less using for entrprise development.

Moreover i will say - Delphi it is not for Linux and it is not for mobile and Farshad not need to listen to those who scream about linux support when Delphi itself still doesn't support it, and responsive design (or mobile) - for mobile you should use native application because your never create application which will be the same usefull on desktop and mobile. These features will not lead more customers because company first of all select Delphi for developing desktop for Windows and nobody select it for linux or mobile. The only true way of development UniGUI - it is improvement of current components and adding new components + improvement scalability. Delphi - it is for Windows desktop application and nothing else so UniGUI should be the easest way to show this application in browser and nothing else. 

We need clear and easy to use components for:

1. Multiupload files

2. Rich edit content in browser (like TinyMCE)

3. Messaging system to have ability to send message from server to user / user to user "on the fly"

4. Pivot table

5. ExtLookupCombobox

6. Drug & Drop

7. Fast charts

8. Fast reports

9. Scripting

It is true Delphi. Trying to support linux or mobile - it is a waste of time and going nowhere. You already can develope application for win10 which will be work both at desktop and tablets, we not need to adapt web application for all devices when we can run usual desktop application on mobile. You can run your app on Wine if you want linux.

You can look to General Discussions - 99% questions about components and customizations - and it is true Delphi, and true UniGUI - fast developing using components. Please, stop any trying for linux and mobile and continue developing like year before when each week/month was release with new GUI features.

• Like 1

A great framework has give us so many good projects and  get so many applause,but at the same time bring to the developers so many  hope and complain.

So as the author,you have got your success,but Now,you must think how to make your product better and make your service better. 

Ruslan, you have many risks everywhere.

As with Microsoft:

https://www.joelonsoftware.com/2002/01/06/fire-and-motion/

(the classic article)

as with other soft company (Google+, recent example).

Delphi it is not for Linux and it is not for mobile

Delphi already works on Linux and mobiles. I think that no need to pull your prejudices here. And give your limited knowledge as the state of things.

We have some successfull commercial projects for the Linux on the Delphi+Lazarus. And need Linux support in the UniGUI.

How many projects on Delphi works on Linux, and how many on Windows? I think that <10% under linux and from a commercial point of view there is no sence to waste time on that when you still not good on Windows. If you run your Delphi application on Linux I think you imagine how many pitfalls come out when you was start this and how many workarounds and hucks you already implemented to get success.

Why both DevExpress and TMS still haven't components for Linux but UniGUI should drop everything and start develop for linux?

Ok - lets start years of work for 10% users, when other 90% haven't even basic feature with editing text in browser with ability to append image to text and other rich formatting.

start development for 10% users = death of UniGUI components in the near future (when Farshad all time will fix tons of bugs and Delphi's glitches under Linux but the bulk of users don't need that)- it is about Linux and Responsive design (who ask RD looks like don't understand how it work and don't understand that this is impossible to make Delphi Form responsive without design restriction)

Why both DevExpress and TMS still haven't components for Linux but UniGUI should drop everything and start develop for linux?

TMS and DevExpress develops mostly the frontend components. But the UniGUI is not only frontend components, but frontend + backend. You can compare how many backends (servers, hosts) works on the Linux and on the Windows. And introducing the UniGUI to the Linux world you can expand the field of using many times.

And I think that converting UniGUI to the Linux is not so hard. I already converted my big project with million+ lines from Windows to Linux (and from Delphi to Lazarus, when I started, Delphi did not have Linux support at all) for about three months. If full sources of UniGUI were available, maybe I would have done it myself. But for a while we have what we have.

2 hours ago, Tokay said:

TMS and DevExpress develops mostly the frontend components. But the UniGUI is not only frontend components, but frontend + backend. You can compare how many backends (servers, hosts) works on the Linux and on the Windows. And introducing the UniGUI to the Linux world you can expand the field of using many times.

And I think that converting UniGUI to the Linux is not so hard. I already converted my big project with million+ lines from Windows to Linux (and from Delphi to Lazarus, when I started, Delphi did not have Linux support at all) for about three months. If full sources of UniGUI were available, maybe I would have done it myself. But for a while we have what we have.

And how about UniDAC and other components - they is not need to port to Linux and will work as usual? Just only binary files will compiled into linux "format"? or UniGUI for Linux will work only with Lazarus?