Concerns about invalid license

Mike

After updating my VM software (VMware) uniGUI reported an invalid license.

So I uninstalled the current uniGUI version and installed the latest version. After that I could use it again.

What me a litte bit worries is that VM or OS updates makes the uniGUI installation useless and reinstallation is needed.

If for some reason FMSoft license server is no longer available how can we make sure uniGUI still can be used inside our development tool?

I know there is some discussion about a licensing model with sources included. Would that solve this problem?

I also had the same issue a week or so ago - (it occurred when I upgraded to the latest version of VMWare, which did change some of the VMs compatibility settings)

I also had the same concern - What happens if the licence server goes down? Is it a case of contacting support? 

• 4 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Hope that Farshad or someone else from uniGUI could give a response.

Hi Mike,

My answer to your concerns would be same as any other company who uses online activation.We allow you to keep an offline copy of your license which can be used without an online connection. However, offline license can only be activated on same hardware which license is issued for. I understand that there can be some holes in this scenario. What will happen if you want to activate your license on a new PC and our license server is down? Well, there is no immediate answer to this question. Our solution can be to increase number of backup servers or switch to another licensing model.

Hi Farshad,

I completely understand you want to protect your product but what my worries is that if for some reason FMSoft isn't able to keep the license servers online (company down, EU restrictions etc.) the uniGUI customers (developers) will have problems supporting uniGUI projects on customer sites.

For now I have already invested a lot of time and money in developing a uniGUI project and don't want to take the risk to lose that.

Maybe using some sort of escrow service or a source license would take most risks away but that is just my 2 cents :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Farshad,

I am following discussion http://forums.unigui.com/index.php?/topic/8937-unigui-100/page-7and can also understand the hesitation from developers to use uniGUI in other projects.

Especially because I would like to develop new projects with uniGUI but it depends from the availability of a source license (some customers demand full sources).

Have you thought about providing source licenses or escrow service?