Xtraordinary Hosting

Farshad Mohajeri

• Administrators

Xtraordinary Hosting is a company based in UK. They provide dedicated and VPS hosting solutions for both Windows and Linux platforms. uniGUI web site is hosted here. I'm very pleased with their uptime and server performance. Their prices are also very competitive. Their servers are completely self-service which means there are no control panel or web management. It is only you and your server which you can access using terminal services. For me control panel is not a must, as I can do whatever I want using server management interface including running my own name server.

PS: I'm not affiliated with Xtraordinary hosting company in any way. This post is simply a recommendation not a warranty for quality of their services. Do your own research before making decision.

• 3 months later...

Farshad,

Thanks for the post.

What should someone look for in an ISP when hosting UniGui web apps? Can you be good enough to list them in point form? Examples.

1) What are the MUST HAVE features in an ISP for UniGui?

2) What are some ISP hidden gotcha's that people should be aware of? (Not necessarily UniGui specific). I know bandwidth overage charges at some ISP's to be horrendous! When you go over your assigned limit, they start charging high fees per gigabyte. Or they will throttle back your bandwidth. Some will even cancel your services if you approach your monthly quotas.

3) This probably warrants a chapter in the documentation, "How to harden your UniGui app from attacks".

Other developers feedback would be welcomed too. I know they probably have horror stories of their own.

TIA

Brent

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Farshad,

Thanks for the post.

What should someone look for in an ISP when hosting UniGui web apps? Can you be good enough to list them in point form? Examples.

1) What are the MUST HAVE features in an ISP for UniGui?

Your ISP should provide VPS services. VPS is the best way to run uniGUI and similar apps. VPS (Virtual Private Server) services are becoming competitive with very affordable prices. Comparing its advantages with shared hosting I think shared hosting is a waste of money.

2) What are some ISP hidden gotcha's that people should be aware of? (Not necessarily UniGui specific). I know bandwidth overage charges at some ISP's to be horrendous! When you go over your assigned limit, they start charging high fees per gigabyte. Or they will throttle back your bandwidth. Some will even cancel your services if you approach your monthly quotas.

Overselling resources is the biggest problem here. Bandwidth, memory and disk resources can be oversold in both shared hosts and VPS hosts. If an ISP claims that they'll give you unlimited bandwidth and disk space they're lying. Resources are limited, especially bandwidth and memory. Some of the virtualization technologies like XEN doesn't allow overselling resources. XEN guarantees that you'll get all the RAM and Disk space dedicated to your VPS.

3) This probably warrants a chapter in the documentation, "How to harden your UniGui app from attacks".

One recommendation here is to keep Ext JS files as read only so JS injection attacks will be impossible.

• 10 months later...

Have try does one http://www.vpsland.com/windows_vps.php and GoDaddy Windows VPS ?

They are more cheap and have more feature than Xtraordinary Hosting

Xtraordinary Hosting is a company based in UK. They provide dedicated and VPS hosting solutions for both Windows and Linux platforms. uniGUI web site is hosted here. I'm very pleased with their uptime and server performance. Their prices are also very competitive. Their servers are completely self-service which means there are no control panel or web management. It is only you and your server which you can access using terminal services. For me control panel is not a must, as I can do whatever I want using server management interface including running my own name server.

PS: I'm not affiliated with Xtraordinary hosting company in any way. This post is simply a recommendation not a warranty for quality of their services. Do your own research before making decision.

Hello:

Any one knows about m6.net????

They announce this:

Windows Cloud Hosting (better than VPS or a Dedicated Server)

Rock solid, massivley scaleable Windows Cloud instances with Full Remote Desktop Access just like a Windows Dedicated Server or Windows VPS - only much better.